Newbie Question-transporting?

Dixiedoodle

Songster
12 Years
Apr 14, 2007
In a few months, I will be picking up 12hens and a roo. They may come from different places, they may all come from the same place at the same time (easier than quaranitine). I might be traveling several hours (both ways) for pick up. I have a truck- NOW my questions: What do I need to take to put the birds in. Where can I get these items and how many do I need for 13 hens/roo @ 15-20 week olds?? Thank you Dixie

Tupperware!!!

No, seriously, I have a bunch of clear Tupperware that we drilled holes(large holes w/ a press) in the side of, and we use those for transport.

-Sarah

Teenage size chickens in T'ware???
gig.gif
lau.gif

Really anything can be used for transport. Dog crates, pet carriers, rabbit cages, and even the tupperware boxes! I have several of those and they work very well!

Birds travel best when they are crowded. Keeps them from getting upset and picking on the others. I usually fit as many in one cage as I can without overcrowding them. Then most of the cages get put in the back of the truck. As long as you are moving they should be fine. however, if it is a hot day, you have to be SUPER careful not to leave them in there for any long amount of time with the truck at a stand still. You will end up with fried chickens!

You can get tupperware at any walmart and cages you can get at auctions or even on the side of the road. I always keep a lookout when driving. Also, check craigslist. They usually have tons of dog crates for sale!

I have used cardboard boxes for adult chickens, with air holes if it's warm and going to be a longer trip. You just have to make sure the boxes are sturdy and the bottoms well taped together and put a bungee or something around the box so the top can't open up. I put an old rag towel in with the birds, thinking it will give them something to grab onto instead of just smooth slippery floor, but I really don't know for sure whether it helps, and it certainly can get yucky by the end of the trip
wink.png

Pat

This is a little different, but when I had to figure out a way to bring two mature peafowl to my parents, I went through all the options I could think of, and I finally decided on the least stressful for the birds, and actually the most economical for me: a U-Haul trailer!!!!

Back
Top Bottom