newbie question -what do you do when chickens never learned chicken behavior?

Have they started laying? If not, I'd stick with the grower/finisher until most of them start laying. At that point you can stick with the grower if you like it, or switch entirely to layer, or do half and half - up to you.
No they aren't laying yet, could be anytime now. Thanks for the advice.

I put some mealworms out and they seemed to enjoy them. I'm seeing some progress. Today I sat out with them and had a couple come close enough to touch but of course they would have scattered if I had tried. One actually pecked my toe..Progress!

Here is what I've put in the run. Logs so they will jump up and get used to getting off the ground. I added an unbreakable mirror in front of the herbs. That seems to be a big hit with them. The ladder to the coop was so steep I couldn't get them to go up so I raised the end and added steps. They do go up on their own now. I have regular feed out all the time, and I put out 2 cups of add layer pellets twice a day (they eat that up real quick), I also have cracked corn and crushed egg shells on the ground. Any suggestions? Am I doing the feed right?
Yay! I'm so happy for you and them! Glad the mealworms were helpful. Progress is good and I like the stairs! I just read an article on this site about chicks needing stimulation and to put sticks in their brooder so they can practice 'roosting'. I also saw a post where someone had used small, short pieces of branches for extra roosts in their coop at different heights. I think your tree stump idea is great! Let us know how it goes. :wee

Yay! I'm so happy for you and them! Glad the mealworms were helpful. Progress is good and I like the stairs! I just read an article on this site about chicks needing stimulation and to put sticks in their brooder so they can practice 'roosting'. I also saw a post where someone had used small, short pieces of branches for extra roosts in their coop at different heights. I think your tree stump idea is great! Let us know how it goes. :wee
Thanks, I will.

Back
Top Bottom