Newbie question - where to get started pullets?

chad76

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Specifically Red Star started pullets... and only 2 or 3 of them. I know McMurray sells them, but they don't have any available until mid-May. I can wait if I have to (still need to build the coop anyway), but just wanted to see if there were any other options.

It would be great if there was someone selling them within driving distance (NE Louisiana), but I don't have a clue where to start looking. I can find chicks pretty easy (feed stores), but not started pullets.

Thanks,
Chad

Quote:
Nope... I've heard about craigslist before, but I've never been to the site. I checked it out and within a few minutes I found some RIR hens less than 4 hrs away. I'll keep looking.

Thank you!

Try Moyer's Chicks in Quakertown, PA. That's where I got mine and they're great big happy birds who lay every day.

Be aware that mass-produced started pullets, i.e. anything not from a backyarder, is likely to be debeaked. They will call it 'beak-trimmed' but it ain't just a trim and it ain't gonna grow back. Chickens generally do okay that way, although you may need to make slightly different provisions for them eating as they're likely to have trouble picking up small objects from hard surfaces, but you should think about it.

Good luck whichever you end up doing,

Pat, with several debeaked started pullets from the feed store last year that do fine but I would never get another one like that

Interesting... they way they list it, they make it sound like a good thing (vaccinated, beak trimmed, etc). Thanks for the info.

So far no luck finding anyone local on craigslist.

Well, beak-trimmed is arguably a good thing IF you are keeping way way too many chickens in way way too small a space for them to be happy. Supposing that one is gonna do that, it probably *is* best if they have dull and mismatched beaks preventing them from being as efficient at disassembling each other.

However for the normal backyard chicken owner with good facilities for their chickens, no, it is not a good thing.

Just pointing out the two sides of the story,

Pat (and btw, you've tried asking feedstores if they know where you could get r-t-l pullets? I'm surprised they can't get them for you since up here it is a pretty normal thing, make sure you ask around *thoroughly* if you haven't yet)

I guess I haven't asked around throughly enough. I do know the feed stores here only sell chicks... and they won't have them for another month. I didn't think to ask if they could get rtl pullets. I'll make some phone calls.

And I definitely plan to have small numbers (2 or 3) in plenty of space... so based on that info, I think I'd prefer no beak trimming.

Thank you!

Well, I started asking around and someone has already offered to GIVE me 5 hens. LOL They aren't the breed I was looking for and they might be fairly old, so I'm still looking... just thought it was funny. His hens are dominiques and are at least a couple years old... maybe older.

I guess I've been going about this search all wrong. Since I didn't think the feed stores would sell them, I've been looking online for places that ship rtl pullets... I should have been just asking friends and coworkers if they knew anyone. One of my coworkers used to judge chickens/eggs and it was his grandfather that offered to give me the hens. And if I don't want his, he knows a lady less than 20 minutes from me that may sell rtl pullets.

Last edited:
Thats great!
Can't wait to see what birds you get.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom