Newbie question

nursecat9

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
I am having my first Cornish X processed on June 1st. I think I read on here to let the birds stew in their own juices for about 3 days in the fridge before you eat or freeze. Am I remembering this right? If so, should anything be added to the bag along with it? Thanks or letting a newbie know. I got 50 more chicks yesterday!
ep.gif

Yes, you should let the meat age before freezing. You do not need to add anything to do this, though some people do choose to brine their birds.

Quote:
I'm subscribing to this thread for responses from the more experienced folks here, I've never heard that. We usually get the birdzillas (my eldest daughter's term for the meaties) processed first thing in the morning (we just have them left whole). We then spend the rest of the day cutting them up and bagging them for the freezer, making chicken stock, and cooking some so that we have cooked meat in the freezer for a quick taco or pot pie meal. My wife and I usually take 8 hours to get 40-50 birds done once we get the processed birds home.

you don't have to age or brine; however many reccomend doing so (24-48 hours) to avoid cooking or freezing until after rigor has left the body. I personally wait 24 hours to freeze (kept in frig) and 48 hours before cooking a fresh butcher job. I don't brine, but suggest trying both ways.

Back
Top Bottom