newbie question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bailey'smama, Oct 27, 2010.

1. bailey'smama

bailey'smama In the Brooder

Oct 27, 2010
    I've had my chickens for about 6 months, and finally! have some eggs. Here's my question: Do I have to candle eggs prior to eating or is that just if I'm attempting to incubate? Also, I've had 2 eggs laid in the coop about a week ago, but my chickens free-range during the day. Does this mean I need to have an easter egg hunt every day in my yard to find more or will they always lay in the coop?

Thanks!!!

2. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Songster

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    Candling is for hatching. If you want to find out if an egg is edible, there is a float test you can do. I'm not sure how that goes, but just do a seach and you can find out how that works.

Chickens will lay anywhere they want. Most will lay in the same spot everyday. Someone on here found a nest under a bush with 14 eggs in it. lol

3. Beckyinma

Beckyinma Songster

Apr 1, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I would certainly go on an easter egg hung regularly. If not every day, then at least once every couple of days, unless the weather is really warm, then I would go every day.

Eventually you'll find all their little hidey holes and know when to look.

If the eggs were laid within a day or two, I would say you don't need to candle if they're going to the fridge. But I'm not an expert on incubating since I have all girls. If you don't have a roo, you don't need to worry about candling at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by