Newbie question?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ellenaspen, Feb 10, 2011.

1. ellenaspen

ellenaspen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2011
    My new incubator is coming today. I am going out of town and won't be back till Tuesday 2/15. I am bidding on some eggs on the auction forum. My question is this...if I get some eggs on say a Wednesday and some on a Friday...can the ones I got on the Wednesday sit around till I have all off them to put in the incubator on the same day?

TIA

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yes, that would be best. They can sit on the counter for up to 10 days before you start incubating, though you will lose some the longer you leave them. A couple of days, though, I'd leave them as you don't really want a staggered hatch.

Mama hens collect one egg a day for around 7-10 days before they start setting on the eggs.

3. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X2

4. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    you have to let shipped eggs rest pointy side down for ateast 8 hours before you put them in your incubator.and you should set up your incubator 24 hours in advance of puting any eggs in it. good luck

5. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I would imagine (and I'm no expert, but I read) that you should find out how old the eggs are that you're getting. I think I've read that you can hold them for about 7 days (maybe 10?) so you can set them all together. The longer the holding, the less the hatch rate? I know someone will correct me if that's not right.
    Also, one thing you need to consider is if you are expecting eggs on a Friday, what if they don't arrive? Are you prepared to make calls/visit the post office to have them look for them, etc? I know that with other live animals (reptiles), we don't ship for a Friday arrival just in case something like this happens. Not good when they sit at the p.o. over the weekend. I know your scenario is just supposition, but being prepared is everything!

6. ellenaspen

ellenaspen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2011
    thanks for replies!!!

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

What ever you do dont break 14 days from the date they were laid. Under 7 is best, under 10 is still good but dong go past 14 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by