Newbie Question....

mommto3kiddos

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
Im placing some fertile eggs under my broody hen tonight. She shares a coop with 6 other hens that have NO interest in sitting.. She is also the lowest on the "whos the boss" list!! With that said she has been sitting for over a week and over the past 5 days has not let ANY of the other hens lay in the "good/favorite" nest..

My question is do I just leave her be in the coop, or would it be smart to move her to a dog crate?? Ive read other puting a broody in her nest box away from the other hens..

Thanks

Hi Suzie,

when/if mine goes broody again, I am going to get fertile eggs like you. For a lot of reasons, I am going to put her in seperate accomodations. (there is only one nest box---so it is a necessity for me) It would protect the broody from other hens accidentally breaking the eggs, and protect the hatchlings from other chickens when hatch occurs.

Good luck, hope you get all the chicks you want.

Last edited:
move her straight away and make sure she has her own water and food and do all of this at nite so she is disturbed as much

OK I have a dog pen set up for her (8x8) run and Im going to put her and the nest box in the huge dog crate. The eggs are already under her, and shes doing well..

Does that set-up sound better or would it be better if I just remove the other hens after 10am (thats when my last girl usually lays) and put them free range in the yard till roost time.. And allow her to have the coop & run to herself during the day??

Which would you do???? Is it just bad for her to be in with the other girls right now?? Sorry Im so new to the broody/new mama stuff...lol

Back
Top Bottom