Newbie Question

Otaru1987

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 16, 2012
Hello,
First timer here. I have a chicken coop that was just built for me. I paid a little extra for a 3 x 8 ft run off to the side. I have since taken the chicken wire off and am in the process of adding a 8 x 12 ft section connected to the first run with all 1/2in hardware cloth. I have ordered 5 chicks that are suppose to ship on Sept 10th . I am getting 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Australorp, 1 Bar Rock, and 1 White Plymouth Rock. Ordered all hens from Mypetchicken.com. I can not have a rooster where I live. My question is If say the Australorp ends up being a rooster does that mean I would not be able to add a female Australorp later? Would I have to completely start over in the future in hopes of getting the combination breeds that I want. Any thoughts appreciated.

Thank you

Russell

I wouldn't stress over whether you'll get a rooster or not, I ordered 9 hens from MPC, australorps, columbian and silver wyandottes, buffs, speck sussex,,so far at 11 weeks I'm seeing all hens..I think they are pretty good about shipping what you ask for, tho I imagine they aren't 100% all the time..

I'd just wait and see:)

I have never had a problem not getting what I ordered either, from two different producers. You should be okay. I have added new chicks to older flocks, but kept them apart until the chicks got older. Also, I introduced them slowly and a little at a time. then with a couple of my calmer chickens, I put them with the younger ones for while before introducing the new ones permanently to the flock.

Back
Top Bottom