Newbie questions about Incubating and hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AustinRhea, Feb 24, 2014.

1. AustinRhea

AustinRhea Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    Knoxville, TN
    Okay guys, these are some questions that popped in my mind as I have been reading through some of the threads about this topic. I don't really have a broody hen. I have one hen that has gone broody in the past but I don't know how she would do incubating another chicken's eggs. I bought an incubator but haven't even opened it yet. Before I open it and set it up, I want to know more about what I am doing so I don't loose all my potential chicks.

#1) When I collect my eggs, how long is too long to keep them out of the incubator? Can I collect over many days and put them all in at once or do I need to put them in as soon as I collect them?

#2) I have seen many references to a water wiggler. When I look them up on the internet I keep getting a picture of a toy. Can anyone please post a picture of your store bought water wiggler?

#3) I have 2 Ameraucana roosters. One had to be helped out of his shell. I was told by one person I should NOT use him to breed. Is that true or does it really matter?

#4) I want to keep my chicks pure bred. Can I house all my roosters together without them killing each other and bring the hens and rooster of the same breed together in a separate breeding pen?

Thank you to anyone that responds. I really appreciate it.
  2. brokenhobble

brokenhobble Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2014
    hello, well for number 1, they say you can keep eggs up to 3 weeks, I have kept eggs up to 2 weeks and had success, take a shoe box and put a towel in it and store your eggs in the closet out of the sun and at room temp, like I say you can add to them for about 2 weeks, some say 3 idk y not I just have never done 3 weeks. then when your happy with your number mark them with a pencil and throw them in the incubator, make sure you set your incubator temp before you put eggs in, give yourself 2 or 3 days to get that temp dialed in just right. 99.5 degrees is ideal. what I have read is if you incubate a tad cooler your will push back hatching a bit and most likely hatch more hens, if you incubate warmer, like 101-102 you could hatch almost a full day early with mostly roosters. haven't experimented enough with this to verify my own just what I researched.
    #2 not the slightest idea
    #3again not much clue, if he acts normal idk y he wouldn't be ok to breed
    #4 that all depends on your roosters temperaments and space they have, that would be something you monitor from a distance, they might have a few battles to figure out the pecking order but id stick them together and let your roosters tell you whether or not they are mentally capable of being together, but I would say the space they have would play a key factor and if they can see the hens and interact with them through the fence...
    well that's my thoughts on the situations I hope it helps and good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by