Newbie questions from Michigan

Hello, I am brand new to this site. I don't have any chicks yet, but I had a few questions that I was hoping to have answered before I get some chicks. I have never had chickens, so really don't know what I'm doing, but figured chickens would be good for my family. I already started by having the law changed for my township so that I could legally have up to 6 chickens (no roo's). Now I need some info on which breeds would be best for a newbie who lives in the pretty cold, yet beautiful area of Traverse City MI. I want to start with 6, which is the limit that I can keep. I plan to keep them in a size able coop/run and use a tractor during nice days when there is not a foot of snow. I want to get day old chicks in a few different breeds if possible. Does anyone know of reputable hatcheries (preferably in Michigan) where I could get a good breed mix?

Also, is there anything that, if you could start over again, would you change how or when you did something with your flock of chicks? Or what is the most valuable piece of advice that you could impart on a newbie before taking the plunge?
Hiya Neighbor! I'm just over in Benzie county. Welcome!

First of all, build your coop first, and build if as big as you can. You might be struck by chicken math and end up with more chickens than you are "supposed" to have. (I started with 8 and now I have over 40.) Even if you don't have "too many" chickens, your birds will appreciate the extra space. Second of all: ventilation, ventilation, ventilation. You will NEED lots of it for our lovely winters. There are a lot of plans, ideas, etc in here for coops. You might also check craigslist if you don't want to mess around with building one yourself.....while this isn't exactly the best time of year for it, they are on there more often than you would think.

Tractor Supply will have chicks starting in around March. They get their birds from Townline Hatchery which is located in Zeeland. TSC may have a minimum chick purchase, that may be something to check on. You can also get birds off of craigslist, but be careful in your sources; I've gotten some GOOD birds off CL and I've gotten birds that I will never get another animal from that source ever again. If you are interested, you may PM me about those. (We also have a feed mill in our area that sells locally grown non-GMO feed for 1/3 less that the stuff at tractor supply if you are interested, you can also PM me about that.)

Breed-wise, you can really get away with anything here as long as you have proper ventillation. If you are a worrier by nature and would worry about frost-bitten combs, stick with wyandottes and what hatcheries will call araucanas/ameraucanas (easter eggers) because their combs are much smaller and don't have the points which can be more susceptible to frostbite. If you want something that will lay eggs like a maniac for 2 years, get ISA browns. Amber Links are another high-production breed that TSC will carry.

I see you've already found the Michigan thread. We are a very friendly bunch over there, but the thread can move quickly. If you ask a question and it doesn't get answered, its either because no one that knows a good answer has been on, or it just got lost in all the chatter.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Back
Top Bottom