Newbie questions on fencing and free range

Mitten Chicken

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 1, 2011
Been visiting here for over a year and finally decided to register. I don't know that I can put off getting chickens any longer - I am obsessed - and so will probably order a Amish made coop in the next week or two. I live on 5 acres and intend to let them free range during the day, but want to keep them behind a fence at night. We currently have a 6 ft. high, 28x30' chain link fence attached to the garage that occasionally we use for the dogs when we just need them out of the house for part of the day, but it mostly sits empty. It is in very good shape - almost new. I am wondering if this would be a good set up for the chickens. We do get the typical predators through, although with the dogs it is not as bad as it could be. Anyhow, just wondering what we might do to make the fencing a bit more secure against predators. Thanks a bunch - this site is such an amazing resource!

It really depends on what kind of predators you have. If there's hawks or other predatory birds, you may need to consider a covered run. If you're confident that the dogs will keep any and al predators at bay when the chickens are free-ranging, then all you need to worry about is a secure coop.

I would definitely fence the top! Get hardware cloth and make sure it is enclosed to keep predators out. I know lot of people on BYC use dog runs for penning and fencing. About a month ago, someone posted about what happens when you don't enclose the top of the run. This person lost quite a few chickens. Just beware. Of course... you can just let them free range.
wink.png
Mine free range everyday and do fine as long as they can run for shelter like my crappy barn or trees.

Good Luck and
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks folks. I actually have a ton of questions, so I will add a few more here if you will indulge me. Does anyone ever just build a coop with no run and then just let them free-range during the day and lock them up in the coop at night? If so, how hard is it to get them to come in at night? Also, is it ever just too hot to lock them up in a coop at night? I really just want to let them free range during the day, knowing that means there will be losses from time to time. (If I was a chicken I think I would trade in a short life with room to roam for a long life spent in a box. Of course, I am not a chicken, so it's quite possible my opinion doesn't count on this topic.) I would want to lock them up in the coop at night though because we are in the country and have just about every predator you can think of except bears and wild cats. A friend who used to have chickens told me I would never get them in at night- especially once they took to the day-time freedom. Anyone have any experience with that?

Dont worry about getting them in at night. When you first get them lock them in the coop for a few days to a week and they will go in every night on their own at dusk, then you can lock them up until morning. Yes, you can just have a coop with no run and just let them free range, as long as you are prepared to take a loss occasionally. I know many people that do this. As far as heat at night, just make sure your coop has plenty of ventilation and windows covered with hardware cloth for security and they will be fine at night. Good luck!
big_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I let mine free-range, though I did build a temporary run for a week, just so they could go outside while still getting the idea of "home." It was completely unnecessary. My chickens love their coop, and I find them in there for afternoon naps, and they turn in for the night well before dark.
If you are concerned about getting them to go back in, I would suggest keeping them locked up in the coop for a week or two. Then open the pop door, and let them come out on their own. The first day I opened up my coop, they hardly went further than a couple feet.
Dogs are a great deterrent to predators. My chickens free-range with the horses, and I think the horses do an even better job than the dogs. A rooster will help if you are really concerned about predators.

Quote:
What Sorin174 said is exactly right.

I love that the chickens just naturally go to roost in the coops. It's kinda sweet.

People who try to herd their chickens into the coop before dusk are just creating difficulties for themselves, and agitating the chickens. If they have been closed in the coop for 5 to 7 days, it kind of imprints on them that "This is home, this is safe, this is where I want to be when it's dark outside." So they trundle on into the coop after ranging around in a run or freely, as dusk approaches.

Back
Top Bottom