1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie questions, please advise....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by murdeb, Aug 27, 2011.

1. murdeb

murdeb Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Sebastian, FL
    As I type this, my boyfriend is putting the finishing touches on our coop. Before I go pick up my 2 hens, what do I need to get? I know I need some type of feeder and something for water, some type of bedding and some food. Do chickens adapt rather easily to their new surroundings? I'm not even sure if I am in the right forum, keep in mind, I am new! Also, I want to get 2 laying hens, is there anything I should look for when picking them out? Thanks!

2. buffbrahmaboy

buffbrahmaboy Out Of The Brooder

Hi, and welcome. I'm also a newby, but can give simple answers to some of your questions. First, two chickens is a fight - three is a flock. Perhaps you should get three hens. I think they should be less than one year old to give you maximum enjoyment, and hopefully already laying. I like softwood shavings the best. Here it's cheap and sold in compressed bales. Have fun.

3. murdeb

murdeb Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Sebastian, FL
    Thanks! Unfortunately, I can only have 2 hens in the city I live in [​IMG][​IMG]

4. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like you are going to be an awesome chicken mommy! Chickens adjust very well to new surroundings though they often stop laying for days or every and few weeks. I don't know where you live but be really observant of the heat index. Depending on your humidity and temp they could need some real special help right now to stay cool. Welcome to BYC! I use the search a lot for information. You can find almost any kind of help in a hurry that way. [​IMG]

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Good luck with your hens. [​IMG]

6. Symphony

Symphony Vanilla, Little Airt Airt

[​IMG]

7. Amigo

Amigo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Your house!
    [​IMG]

8. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    [​IMG] Hi and welcome to BYC! You also need a nest box and a roost for them to sleep. Once they are laying, they may need oyster shell to harden the egg shells. Make sure the run and coop are very secure. Chicken wire is useless and go with something stronger like hardware cloth or welded wire. Good luck!

9. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Welcome to BYC!

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by