Newbie Questions

nhcruffler

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 31, 2009
I have tried searching but keep getting distracted by all the interesting posts. So I have a few newbie questions. I heard that Turkeys should have there shoulders higher than their rear ends when eating & drinking. Is this correct? My two BBW seem to have no problem eating & drinking out of the containers on the ground. I also have to ask about rain. Do I need to make sure the turks are under cover when it rains or can they be trusted to go under cover on their own. They are six weeks old BBW and are left home alone while I am at work. Well, the beagle does watch them but will not put them inside their coop. Thanks, nh

Quote:
They say to put the food and water at shoulder heighth to keep waste down to a min, as they will wate more when lower.

No turkeys will not drown from the rain, but they can get wet,chilled and die but not drown from it.

At 6 weeks they could get chilled very easy and die or all kinds of other things if left alone outside unattended for a day. i would keep them in a covered run for at least another 2 weeks or more.

Thanks Harp, I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. I am not sure why I decided to get Turkeys since I never raised birds before ( just cats & dogs). They sure are neat though. I am sure I probably fuss over them more than I should. I will make sure they are under cover if there is a chance of rain. nh

Don't worry -- we all fuss over our turkeys, more than we should!!
gig.gif

my turkeys are about 7 - 8 weeks old and they go inside by their selves when it rains, however they do try to sleep outside at night, you do have to keep an eye out while they are young because they get very cold very easily while they are young.

Back
Top Bottom