Newbie questions!

Xanatos

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 14, 2010
I was wondering about adding a guinea or two to my flock of chickens, I know from people telling me that guineas can be loud, and like to roost in trees. While I would love to let them roam the yard and do their own thing, I can't let them into the neighbors yards and don't want them to leave my yard at all, is there any way to let them free roam around but keep them close? Also, will they bother garden plants if i let them stay there to keep it clear of insects? and if I do order them with my baby chickens, what will I need to do to take care of them and raise them different from the chickens?

Generally if you raise from keets and socialize well...more than chickens, they tend to stay home. no other different care is required other than the socialization. They are very LOUD. Mine roosted in the coop with the chickens. They love tomatoes.

when you say they are very loud, can you describe this noise issue more? is it all day? just at light? or at night as well? etc?

It depends on how many dogs, trucks, visitors, predators etc. that you have. Mine were screaming all day. We have hawks, strays, and several visitors and they yell every time anything barks, screeches, crows, or moves that they are not familiar/comfortable with. We also however did not raise them from keets on our property, so this could have been part of the reason for their over abundance of vocal enthusiasm. We got rid of them and no longer have any. Of course, our neighbors have 6 constantly barking dogs so.......go figure..lol!

They are very vocal!
They sound off anytime one of the dogs, horses, goats, sheep, cows and I...walk anywhere near their pen!
They are the watch dogs of the poultry world, they yell their alarm at anything and everything!
I just love them! But they are LOUD!

When mine were free-ranging, they went farther than the chickens ever think about going. They don't normally get as tame as chickens, and once they find the trees, that is where they will roost.
I had 3 that would roost with the chickens during the winter, but that only happened one winter, and they never did again.

IMO, if you are in town, they might not be the best choice for you.

Jean

im not near a town, but this 'coop' is built along the fence next to the neighbors yard. Personally, I don't like this neighbor either=p hes up at 3am shooting his gun for fun some nights. But the grandparents want to keep the peace so I'm not sure if I Can get guineas...do they come in shy ? lol

They won't bother garden plants! If you have chickens in a pen then they will stay close. Also, set a mirror outside (big enough that they can see their whole body) and this will keep them entertained. It is like cindiloohoo said- it all depends on their mood and their surrounding noises at a given time! you really don't need to do nothing different but I like to feed guineas 28% protein feed. Why? Because they grow 2x faster on it than on chick starter! Hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions!
big_smile.png

Quote:
YOUR NEIGHBORS WILL HATE YOU IF YOU GET GUINEAS. AND AT 3AM WHEN THEY ARE SHOOTING THEIR GUNS YOUR GUINEAS WILL BE YELLING BACK. THEY DONT NORMALLY YELL AT NIGHT BUT MINE WILL SOUND OFF IF A CAR PULLS UP NEAR THE COOP OR IF THERES SOMETHING OUT THERE THEY DONT LIKE .
tongue.gif

Once they get used to your home they are not quite as noisy, but it can get loud. We feel a bit bad for our neighbor since the guineas holler any time his dog's bark, but then I think his dogs drown out most of the noise. At least the guineas don't egg on the dogs the way my roosters in the chicken yard do! Really, they are quite good to have around, and they seem to like fire ants and don't dig up all my garden plants.

Back
Top Bottom