Newbie questions

Merrdock

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 17, 2013
I'm new to this website and raising chickens, not sure if I'm doing either of them right but I'm giving it a shot. I've read a lot of these post and find them all very interesting and helpful. I live in Vermont and just purchased 6 leghorns and 6 road island reds( maybe to many for a beginner) my question is they r about 4 weeks now can I give them treats? I was going to start with plain yogurt (sugar free) because one seems to have sticky butt, I also bought meal worms and scratch, r they to young?

A little yogurt would be fine. I've never fed mealworms, myself, and don't even know how big they are, so I'll let someone else answer that one.

The two things about treats are, try not to give more than 10% of their dail intake in treats, to ensure they get the nutrients they need from the feed. Also, be sure there is grit available -- it is not needed for the feed, and wouldn't be necessary for plain yogurt, but when you talk about anything that needs grinding (like mealworms) then you need to be sure they have what the need. Some people use sand for grit for ounk chicks. I usually buy a bag of "chick grit" (smaller pieces" from the TSC, then buy "chicken grit" (larger pieces) after that. Mine don't use much of it, so I suspect there is some of what they need in our soil to grind their food.

Have you seen our treats chart?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens

my chicks and chickens love them! they would chance after each other to get them yes they are old enough to be giving them mealworms they will be fine.
and good luck!
welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom