Newbie, Ray from the West Midlands, UK.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Donni2199, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Donni2199

Donni2199 New Egg

Aug 4, 2016
    Hi all. Just signed up to the Back Yard Chickens site. Have read some good advice stories from here before getting my clucking chucks. I love having them. Two are very friendly and enjoy a cuddle, the other two are a little more reluctant. All of them were laying well until recently. Hettie as pretty much stopped laying. She did give me one 2 days ago. The egg shell had signs of blood on it. she had also been sitting outside during the day,tucking her head under her wing and going to sleep. Would any of you be concerned at this behaviour?.
    She is out in the garden at the moment pecking my lawn with the other 3. I'll add a couple of photos for you all to see my setup.
    Thanks for any replies.
    Chuck,chuck.[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Donni, welcome to BYC.

3. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and [​IMG]

What a beautiful setup! I love the tree in the middle. You can post over at Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying and folks there should be able to help you out. I hope your hen feels better soon!

Good luck and thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, Donni, and :welcome. Great to have you aboard!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Good to meet you Ray. Are you having heat problems like most of us in US are having? Chickens tolerate cold much better than heat. Maybe you hen is feeling 'off' because of the weather ??? Did she last lay a large egg?

7. Donni2199

Donni2199 New Egg

Aug 4, 2016
    Looking back, yes she did have quite a large egg. The weather here had been quite warm around 25c. The other three chicks are laying ok though.

8. Donni2199

Donni2199 New Egg

Aug 4, 2016
    Yes she did lay a large egg and the weather this last couple of weeks has been quite warm. When i first got her she was laying 1 a day. I've only had the chicks a couple of months. The other three are laying ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by