Newbie that grateful for this resource

KeiL

In the Brooder
May 24, 2015
I've wanted chickens for years but had nothing but a concrete backyard. A year ago we moved to a house on an acre of land mainly because of my desire for chickens - the first thing I bought when we signed the contract was a coop! Last spring we were busy moving, but this spring I knew I couldn't let another year go by without chicks. So two days ago I got my first three - a very sweet, social (always the first to jump on my hand when I hold out feed) red laced wyandotte that I named Gracie, a red sex link who is much more standoffish and cautious named Gloria, and a very sweet black sex link named Phoebe who is smaller than the other two but holds her own when they get bossy (fingers crossed that I don't end up with a Greg, Glen, or male name that starts with a "Ph"!) They are in my bathtub so I see them often and find myself just sitting and watching them and laughing. It's amazing that they have such personalities! Since I'm just starting out, I've had to google lots of questions and Backyard Chickens keeps coming up. I figured I might as well join and start learning from all you pros :)

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. I love your chickens's names. Gloria and Phoebe should be easy to sex since Sex Link chickens can be sexed by color from hatching. Male Red Sex Link chicks are whitish and females are reddish. Male Black Sex Link chicks have a white spot on top of their heads and females lack the white spot on top of their heads. Black Sex Links are my favorite chickens as they are friendly and hardy, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Good morning, welcome to BYC!

Congratulations on your first flock. There's nothing better than watching chicken tv. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. There are a lot of friendly, helpful members here. And if you haven't already, check out the articles in the Learning Center that can get you off to a good start.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/getting-started-raising-chickens

It's nice to have you here!

welcome-byc.gif
and congratulations on getting your own flock.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for all being pullets:)

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to BYC!!
welcome-byc.gif

I'm glad you joined the flock!!
wee.gif

Many adventures await you and your flock. If you have any questions, feel free to ask around!!
big_smile.png

D.gif
jumpy.gif
-Turkenstein25
jumpy.gif
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom