1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie to 'bating

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ConchRepublic, Jan 23, 2010.

1. ConchRepublic

ConchRepublic Looking For My Marbles

Jan 22, 2010
    Dunnellon, Fl
    Okay, the title sounds odd but I'm sure you all know I mean incubating.

I'm wanting to get into incubation and just wondering if anyone knows of a good 'bator that is fairly cheap? We don't need a large one because we mainly just want to incubate a few eggs at a time.

2. Shadowhills Farm

Shadowhills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    We saw this incubator at the local Tractor Supply:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/livest...-equipment/little-giant-air-incubator-2167379

Just some Questions I have about it:

1. Is it worth the price they're asking?
    2. Is it a good starter incubator for us who are just starting?
    3. What has been your hatch rate from this incubator?

Any comments are appreciated. We are really looking forward to having a 'bator and getting little Peepers!

3. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    No matter what bator you use they all will hatch out chicks if used correctly. You will find that most don't like the LG because it is TOUCHY, the one refered to in the link. I have no problem with the LG and use them in classrooms locally.
    It doesn't matter if you use a homemde bator or a top of the line store bought one, if you don't use it properly, your hatch rate will be low. A poor hatch rate is one that is below 80% on your own eggs. Shipped eggs will be lower. This is only because of all the vairables on shipped eggs, the seller of these eggs will have very high hatch rates, yet the buter may have a poor hatch rate. THE EGGS ARE GOOD WHEN THEY LEAVE THE SELLER'S HANDS. But in some cases because of handling they are damaged.
    If you have read the many articles on this site, you will see that MissPrissy can hatch an egg by just looking at it, not really, but she has learned to use a bator properly. She has some of the best homemade bators made. There are others that couldn't hatch an egg with the best bator money can buy.
    Do I or anyone else have 100% hatches every time, HECK NO, but those of us that hatch thousands of eggs each year fo have a high hatch rate, 85% or better. Learn to use your equipment properly and you can too.
    Think of it this way, your child is learning to drive, would you throw him or her the keys to your BMW or better and tell them to have fun?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by