Newbie to BYC and getting ready to start our first flock!

IdahoMichelle

Hatching
May 6, 2015
So glad to have found BYC - what an awesome resource for newbies! :)

We're moving onto our new (12.5 acre) property in a couple weeks. There is an existing small (about 4x5 feet ) coop & chain link run. We're wanting to get started right away and will plan on 4 or 5 chickens to begin with. Then, when we're able to build another coop, or possibly a big egg mobile contraption, we hope to expand. With all the other items on our project list, I'm guessing that won't happen until at least next spring.

My hope is to do a rotational grazing type set up..similar to Polyface Farms at some point in our future. But, we're total noobs to this lifestyle, so, one step at a time. :eek:)

We're thinking of starting with EEs (including a roo), then add a second flock. Really, I'm just wanting colorful eggs. LOL! That's my motivation. ;o) So, I expect we'll have a mixed second flock. Our goal is to keep our family of 4 in eggs all year to begin with - well, after the EEs finally start laying! Our extended family and friends are all clamoring for us to sell to them, too.

Looking forward to learning and sharing with you all!

Michelle in Idaho

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So glad you could join our community! Sounds like you have a nice plan. These things come with trial and error and I am sure over time you will have a good system in place.

Make yourself at home here and if you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask around the forums.

Welcome to our flock!

Hi :welcome Michelle

Glad you could join the flock! 12.5 acres sounds fantastic! Lots of room there for lots of chickens. Have you checked out the learning centre? Lots of super articles on getting started with your chicken adventures. Here is the link > https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Wishing you the very best of luck with your move and impending chickens. Be sure to ask any questions you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Why a rooster with only 4 hens? He can cause undo stress with so few. If the plan is to hatch more EE chicks, go with a blue egg gene rooster or you will end up with a high percentage of brown egg laying EE pullets in the next generation.

Hubby really wants to have a roo. With a family of all females, he needs an ally! ;o) I was hoping that we would be ok with that hen to rooster ratio, but definitely wouldn't want to stress the poor girls out! Will have to give that more thought...thanks.

Not a high priority right now, we are wanting to hatch eggs at some point...probably next spring. Thank you for pointing out the color issue...I had no clue!

Thanks so much.

Michelle in Idaho

Back
Top Bottom