newbie to chickens

chicksheart

In the Brooder
May 1, 2020
My husband & i are starting to raise our own chickens. We just harvested our first EVER batch of Cornish cross. wow - it was a hard emotional day for us. Some of those birds were friendly and loved to be petted and we did! They left this earth knowing they were loved and cared for and had the best possible life here. would we do it again? yep, going to in early fall. Don't ever want my heart to be calloused to take a life, but hopefully it will get easier- some day. By mid spring we will have our first layers as pullets and we know we will need advice from those who have been there done that. Thankful to find a place to receive truthful advice.

My husband & i are starting to raise our own chickens. We just harvested our first EVER batch of Cornish cross. wow - it was a hard emotional day for us. Some of those birds were friendly and loved to be petted and we did! They left this earth knowing they were loved and cared for and had the best possible life here. would we do it again? yep, going to in early fall. Don't ever want my heart to be calloused to take a life, but hopefully it will get easier- some day. By mid spring we will have our first layers as pullets and we know we will need advice from those who have been there done that. Thankful to find a place to receive truthful advice.

Welcome to BackYardChickens! So glad to have you here in our wonderful community of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people!
Our current ( and first ever ) chicks are all for eggs, but roosters will be respectfully eaten. I also have rabbits destined for meat. I pet the new babies, just weaned, and tell them I won't hurt them...and I mean not to. A happy life, sunshine, grass, fresh air, then one quick second and they are gone.
Someone asked me once that if I couldn't stomach eating my own humanely raised, happy, animals and could only stomach eating meat if someone else did the dirty work for me, with no idea how that animal was raised, killed, then how could I justify eating meat at all. Food for thought. I dislike killing the fish I catch, I always thank them first.
There is no shame in feeling ambiguous about it if you do...taking a life is a serious thing and shouldn't be approached lightly. But to us anyway, this is the way we feel the best about it. And although I admire vegans and vegetarians, I don't want to be one myself. Hugs to you.
I hope your Cornishes were yummy!

Back
Top Bottom