Newbie to Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BatesPiggery, Dec 21, 2014.

1. BatesPiggery

BatesPiggery Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2014
    Hawthorne, FL
    (1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I had chickens when I was six or seven, but I wasn't the primary caregiver, so I suppose I am new to chickens, really.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Right now I have three, two hens and a rooster.

(3) What breeds do you have?

The rooster is a blue Maran, one hen is pure Silver Laced Wyandotte, the other is SLW crossed with an Americana.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

When I bought my chickens, the woman I purchased them from recomended I learn as much as I can on here.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I am really into, though it may seem geeky, genetics. I want to one day create a new breed of pig and chicken.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

First off my name is Samantha, you should know that I am a senior in high school. I started a successful photography business, then I joined 4H and fell in love with my project pig, Rufus. Ever since I have been saving up money and drawing up blue prints to build my own farm. In a week I will be going to pick up my bred sows and it will all begin. Right now. The other pets I have are two dogs. A Border Collie mix rescue, Cooper, and a Shih Tzu, Pandora, (They have an instagram @thehipsterdogtwo). I know its weird but photography is one of my passions. An old rescued yard cat, Mason, and a white gold fish, Bruno. Then of course my flock. The roosters name is Henry, and I am still looking for names for the girls. Thats about all there is to tell, I think.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Samatha, nice to meet you. Glad you joined the flock. There is nothing weird about a passion for photography. When people have a true passion for something, they usually succeed . We have some photography threads on BYC.

One I especially like is "Farm photography is the best advertisement."

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Samantha. I'm glad you decided to join our flock. You have a very good and thorough introduction. If your going to keep your rooster, you should get 7 or 8 more hens to go with the two you have. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens as too many roosters (or too few hens in your case) as they mature can become very hard physically on your hens; overbreeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially seriously injuring them. The only reason you really need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching and 1 rooster can easily handle 25 hens in this regard. I currently have 25 hens and no roosters in my flock, and I get loads of eggs without the aggression, biting and feather plucking, feeding of non-productive mouths, crowing in the middle of the night, drop off in egg production, over-breeding and battering of hens that goes along with having roosters (especially too many). My hens are stress free and enjoying life without a rooster around. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

8. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us.

9. Sucker4cluckers

Sucker4cluckers Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2014
    Waldorf Maryland
    [​IMG]

I love photography too! Nothing weird about being creative or having a good eye!
    Please post some photos of you chickens!

10. BatesPiggery

BatesPiggery Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2014
    Hawthorne, FL
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here is my flock, I am going today to pick up two or three Rhode Island Red hens, I will post photos of them later on. :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by