Newbie to Hatching Ducklings

416bigbore

Ruffus and Big Boy
Jun 11, 2020
NC
Hello All,
I am already have spring on the brain and was thinking about some baby ducklings.:love We are new to ducks so it has been a learning experience every day as they have been maturing into adults. Even though our ratio is off with four Drakes to eight Hens, we have been very lucky up to this point and have had no major aggressive mating behavior in our small flock. I plan to have the four Drakes set up in their own area by spring to help assure we can keep piece in our flock. :)

Until we have a larger area adding more ducks is out of the question at this time, but would love to see if we could possibly hatch some baby ducklings to enjoy the experience and then find the babies a good forever home after. I am not interested in using an incubator to do this and would like to see if this will happen naturally on its own? :confused:

I was wondering if there is any members who do natural hatching and could give us some pointers. Thank You :)

If you're looking to induce broody behavior, you can do that by creating a quiet, dark, nesting area for the females. I have found good success inducing broody behavior, by setting golf balls in their nesting box, as most are unfavored to sit if there are no, or little eggs in the nest. You also may try to figure a system where the nest can be blocked off from the others in case one sits, as you will find sometimes other more dominant ducks may mess with the broodies eggs, or kick her off the nest. Even if you don't want to hatch with an incubator, it's still always a good idea to have one on hand, as some ducks, may abandon their nest late into the incubation period. I have a cheap one-off amazon I use for emergencies/hatching for 50$, that does the job.

Hello Isaac 0, Thank you for your reply back with information, greatly appreciated. :)

What I am not so sure about is, would I have better luck with a pair off by themselves in there own little quiet area or just turn the one Drake in with all the hens? We have the two Drakes who had AW this spring and thought it would be best to keep them out of the mating equation for baby ducklings.

I was hoping to have a small batch of baby ducklings, 6-7 and wasn't sure if I did separate the pair from the flock how long this would take and then would I want to remove the Drake after she is broody and sitting on her eggs?

I would like to do this all naturally and just not sure what would be the best way to go about it without having a lot of interference from the other hens in the process if that's a possibility? :confused:

I have the ability to build the perfect environment form this to happen, I just don't know what would be considered the perfect environment? :)

@Isaac 0 By chance do you have the model of incubator you keep on hand? I would rather not have to use one, but have it on hand just in case as you say, emergency. Thank you.:)

Hello Isaac 0, Thank you for your reply back with information, greatly appreciated. :)

What I am not so sure about is, would I have better luck with a pair off by themselves in there own little quiet area or just turn the one Drake in with all the hens? We have the two Drakes who had AW this spring and thought it would be best to keep them out of the mating equation for baby ducklings.

I was hoping to have a small batch of baby ducklings, 6-7 and wasn't sure if I did separate the pair from the flock how long this would take and then would I want to remove the Drake after she is broody and sitting on her eggs?

I would like to do this all naturally and just not sure what would be the best way to go about it without having a lot of interference from the other hens in the process if that's a possibility? :confused:

I have the ability to build the perfect environment form this to happen, I just don't know what would be considered the perfect environment? :)

It all depends on the drakes personality, and your setup, but most domestic drakes will have nothing to do with the ducklings, and if the conditions are right, may try to attack them. It's best for the mother, and her babies to have their own little pen away from the flock until the babies are of a decent size, and can be slowly integrated back with the flock.

@Isaac 0 By chance do you have the model of incubator you keep on hand? I would rather not have to use one, but have it on hand just in case as you say, emergency. Thank you.:)

I have this one on hand :

https://www.amazon.com/Incubator-Di...606137317&s=industrial&sr=1-4&ts_id=318009011

Nothing special, but it does the trick when you need it.

I wasn't sure if the drake needed to be in there still after he was done or not? Since we have two pair of sister hens who are very much the same in color. I may just put the Drake in with those two hens so after I pull the Drake, those two sisters should be able to keep each other company since they get along together so good. Maybe I am looking at this wrong?

We will not keep the ducklings this go around since room will be an issue. It's more about the experience and joys of doing it. Just like having a sow and baby oinkers, but only ducklings. :love

Back
Top Bottom