Newbie to raising chickens.

Colvillegirl

Chirping
Nov 22, 2018
Colville, WA
(1) Are you new to chickens? Yes

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? 0-none yet!

(3) What breeds do you have? None yet but researching the different breeds.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? I'll soon find out!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? My dogs, hiking, walking, exploring new areas and hobbies, gardening and fixing up my new country house.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I have 2 Golden Retrievers and 1 Schnoodle. I'm retired and recently moved from a major city to another state and country life!

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D I stumbled upon this site and am anxious to learn from other community members.

Hi and welcome to BYC and congrats on your new place in the country.

On this link you'll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping birds - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archives

This is a useful link of BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3 I’d suggest including your location using the guide in that link. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Welcome to the group! Tons of info in the articles section and I've never been disappointed with the search function on any topic/question I have had so far. We look forward to hearing of your chicken acquisitions. Our family started a little ambitiously I think. Buff Orpingtons, Silver Laces Wyandottes, Barred Plymouth Rocks, White Brahmas, and some Easter Eggers for our first flock. They will be 17 weeks old on Mon! So much fun.

Welcome to BYC and your new life in the country! This is a great group of folks who are always willing to answer questions and offer guidance. I wish I had joined BEFORE I got my first chickens; although I grew up with chickens, my dad was the primary caregiver.

Does the 'Colville' part of your name indicate where in the country you're living? I know of two Colvilles in the Midwest; both are small, rural communities. One of them is in the same Iowa county where I live.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Congratulations on moving to the country. Raising chickens for a retirement hobby will be very rewarding. And you're doing everything in the right order! Figure out the hows first and THEN get your chickens!
You'll find a huge amount of useful information in the articles and by reading through forum threads. You'll learn things you never knew about chickens that way.
Good luck to you with your house and your chicken adventures!
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

:welcome

Hi, it's nice to have you here with us!

smiley t-giving.gif

Back
Top Bottom