1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie to Supplemental lighting...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Woooosh, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Woooosh

Woooosh New Egg

Jun 26, 2015
    My young hens are just beginning to lay- just as fall is shortening the days. I know from reading here they will produce best with 16 hours of light a day and I know the quality of that light matters. Only two of my 7 hens has begun to lay and I suspect lighting is a factor.

I want to get them on a stable light schedule. My hens free range during the day (they head out the run's pop-hole with morning light) and return to the coop mid-afternoon. Is it best to supplement light in the morning, the evening, or add a few hours to each?

All comments are welcomed. Thanks.

2. Chris102

Chris102 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Conroe, TX
    I use zoo med Avain Sun 5.0 full spectrum UVB lights on my Gouldian Finches since they are housed in a building. Like you, My young Coturnix hens are just starting to lay and I'll probably use the same bulbs for them as well once the days get too short. I plan to have them on a timer...turning on before dusk for a few extra hours...and having a small VERY low wattage night light for when the UVB bulb turns off.

I know there are many Coturnix quail breeders on the forum that have the lighting down to a science. I'm sure one of them will chime in!:)

The bulbs I mentioned are a little pricey but I have seen a marked difference in the overall health and production with my gouldian finches since I started using those lights.

3. baldeagle567

baldeagle567 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2015
    Longview, WA
    I am new to raising quail and have a couple of newer style curly type lights on my cages. I have them on from 5 AM to 9AM and then on again at 4PM to 10PM (I live in Washington state). Are the longer florescent tube lighting better?

Baldeagle567

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by