Newbie trying to make a coop/run vs buying pre-fab

I'm waiting for measurements, but i think lowering it to about 30-32" then enclosing bottom in harware cloth ... if the box itself is 24x ft ... it might work
following up to ask, why do people post things for sale and not offer dimensions, and when asked don't respond. flakipuffs ...

That Wayfair structure looks totally inadequate, and they don't give specs on framing materials! It looks like 2"x 2" boards, so wrong, and won't support any snow load, or any real roofing.
The easiest thing would be to buy a garden shed from the big box store, or find one used, have it delivered, and modify it for light and ventilation.
Walk-in buildings are best!! Some of us don't want to be crawling under a coop, or crouching inside one that's too short.
The least expensive coop, and easy to build, is a hoop coop! Look them up on this site, they do work well.
For size, think about plywood and wood material sizes, and build in 8' lengths rather than 6'.
4x6 is too small, unless the connecting run is also roofed and predator proof.
Mary

That Wayfair structure looks totally inadequate, and they don't give specs on framing materials! It looks like 2"x 2" boards, so wrong, and won't support any snow load, or any real roofing.
The easiest thing would be to buy a garden shed from the big box store, or find one used, have it delivered, and modify it for light and ventilation.
Walk-in buildings are best!! Some of us don't want to be crawling under a coop, or crouching inside one that's too short.
The least expensive coop, and easy to build, is a hoop coop! Look them up on this site, they do work well.
For size, think about plywood and wood material sizes, and build in 8' lengths rather than 6'.
4x6 is too small, unless the connecting run is also roofed and predator proof.
Mary
thank you Mary. I envision a 4x6 elevated (30" cuz I'm 5'9") coop with a connecting 6x12 run so the chickens would have a total interior space of 24sqft and total exterior space of 72sqft all weather and predator-proofed, with 24 sq feet under the coop for the "spa" aka dust bath area.

You realize you ONLY get some plans and those corner/connecting pieces with that, right? You'd probably be out 600$ more after buying lumber, roofing, screws, etc and while lumber yards will usually cut a couple pieces for you they won't sit around and cut an entire shed's worth of lumber for nothing. They may well charge you a buck a cut if they even have time to do it at all.

nope - that's why I post and ask. Yes, I knew that's all I'd get - didn't realize the rest.
Anyway, if you've got the tools and willingness to build from that kit you could probably just buy lumber and other materials and knock together something that would hold up just as well. There's prefab sheds (steel seems cheapest) but you'd still need some tools and materials to do some cutting and add ventilation and you'd need to throw in some place for them to roost and possibly some laying boxes. Though really chickens aren't that picky. I've had them lay in a cardboard box, in a half used bag of shavings and an old speaker box.

Keeping it real simple I had some A frame chicken tractors I built at my old property that worked fine and were cheap enough to build. Tractor won't seem like a lot of "run" but you can move it around the yard so they'll always have fresh grass to pick at and for sleeping/laying they don't use much space whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom