Newbie Wanting to get Started on Bobwhite Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Newb, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Newb

Newb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2010
    Hello,

I'd like to breed and raise some Bobwhite quail and ringneck pheasants to populate 70 acres of grasslands with random tree lines. The property is surrounded by crop fields.

I have never done this but would like to keep a pretty small operations. Maybe only 5 or so breeders and hopefully get a couple hundred chicks per season. Is that possible?

I'm looking for tips or links to cheap/easy/effective construction of a breeding pen and pen to raise them. I have a brooder with heat lamp that is occasionally used for chickens. At what age can I just let the chicks free, I'd like to let them go as early as possible? What are some tips for keeping them wild?

Can I have an open top brooder and just let them leave whenever they can fly out of it?

Any other tips or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    We're not allowed to set them free, here in AK, but I do raise them. I would check with your local Fish and Game office first if you haven't already.
    They do great in rabbit-hutch style houses, or fully enclosed pens on the ground. They like to roost, and given hay they will burrow in to make nests. BWs mature slowly. They're fully mature at 16-20 weeks, and about 4-5 weeks I start weaning them from their heat. Keep them "more wild" by blocking their view of the outside, and feed them when its dark.
    Some info...
    http://www.gamebird.com/bobwhite.html
    The other links I have are no longer valid, but I saved the articles on my computer. Email me if you want me to send them to you.
    Someone with more experience on releasing them would likely be more help... hopefully someone will pop on soon. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by