Newbie who needs advice, South Carolina

Welcome to BYC...You will find that this message board is full of lots of info. I have learned so much from it!
I am also new to this and my situtation is close to yours(except I'm not moving anytime soon)and I'm in Spartanburg, my girls get to free range a few hours everyday and are the Best! I have Barred Rocks and Buff Orps! No eggs yet this should happen around Feb/Mar
fl.gif

I love these breeds and I hope to add some silverlaced wyandottes and Jersey Giants this spring! Keep everybody posted on what breed you get and how they are doing. Oh and you need to go to the Where are U? Index and write on the South Carolina page, I've met lots of great people on there and learned alot!!!!!Plus some people have chickens/chicks for sell so you'll get to visit before buying!!

Welcome Again!
wee.gif

Last edited:
I'd check with the feed stores in your area, ask who gets chicks and what kind and when. Warning: chicks dyed pretty colors at Easter are almost 100% roos. They'd be 100% but sexing baby chicks is only about 90% accurate.

Also I know your from the upstate, but down near Blackville, SC in a small town called Springfield there is a HUGE flea market, and I have seen over 3,000 chickens and chicks there in the spring and summer time...

I got my father in law 2 Austolorps from there and they are egg laying machines. Got them for 7 bucks a piece.

Thanks again for more great advice.
smile.png
I have put my name in with a local breeder who has some very nice and friendly egg layers. I will check out these other sources when I get down there.

I think I also want to get a few ducks! But I am thinking they will need separate living quarters. The Indian Runner ducks look so cute! And if I end up with a boy in the flock, at least he can still stay without being to noisy.

One IMPORTANT thing you will want to pay attention to when obtaining local birds is diseases and parasites.

I got a nasty case of scaly leg mites from the farm I got my first birds from, and a girl in my neighborhood has infected her entire flock with some serious skin disease that caused her birds to loose their feathers.

At this point I think I am ordering all my replacements from the reputable, large hatcheries that guarantee their birds are infection free.

(Scaly Leg is a real pain to get rid of, and as for other infections - it's painful watching your first birds die slow, deteriorating deaths.)

Just be careful to get very clean birds!

--Grace

Back
Top Bottom