Newbie with 2 week old chicks... is this normal?!

KristenRae

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 7, 2011
NE Wisconsin
This is my first time with chickens. Brought four of these guys home (2 white rocks, 2 australorp/barred rock crosses) when 2 days old, now they're 2 weeks old. Noticed that one of the "mutts" wasn't growing as fast as the other birds, appeared sleepy, somewhat inactive (but still eating and drinking) and in a stupor. It died 3 days ago. Now, one of the white rock chicks is showing the same symptoms. I noticed symptoms in the white rock chick at about the same time our first chick died. Today, the white rock is eating, but appears "drunk" if you will. It's growth fell behind the other chicks (posting comparison pics) and has watery poo (also posting a pic for your enjoyment). Please help! What is going on with these guys? I have used medicated chick starter from the get-go, they have plenty of space away from the heat lamp in our 'brooder' and aren't showing signs that they are either too warm or too cold. We are using pine shavings for bedding. They always have access to clean food and water, and since they are in my house... I keep the cage clean and dry. I was thinking maybe a genetic ailment when the first chick died, but the second sick chick is of an entirely different breed! Any advice?
In this pic, sick chick is on the right
95096_dsc01739.jpg

Here, it is on the left (notice the kind of sunken, dull eyes?)
95096_dsc01741.jpg

And, here is its poo (classy, eh?)
95096_dsc01744.jpg

are they 2 weeks old in this pic?

I have 2 week olds now, and they are much farther along than yours appear....I wouldn't worry...you can give some Polyvisol baby vitamins, with NO iron, in the water...it can't hurt them

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

(I just so happen to have a sit on poo...) check it out, being so new, you can expect odd goings in the poop area. What are you feeding them? Medicated Chick Starter?

Thanks for your reply! Yes, this photo was taken this afternoon. I noticed that my mutt chick is much more feathered out than these white rocks are... maybe they are both sick, just at different stages? I have a thermometer in the brooder, and temp is as recommended. Sick chick is going downhill fast... probably won't make it overnight. I am feeding a medicated chick starter, and have been since I got them. Haven't fed them anything other than their crumbles.

hmm, are you sure they are 2 weeks, they look only a few days?

I am having issues loading pics now, but I will tomorrow and show you my 2 week olds.

Sorry, sometimes chicks just die, I lost 2 this year...sounds like you are doing everything right...

Will post pics tomrrow, you will be surprised in the difference in our chickies...

I got them from a farmer through Craigslist. They were 2 days old when I brought them home June 21st, so I'm pretty confident on the age as I have had them for 12 days, lol. I am more concerned about the sleepy/inactive/notably smaller chick, as this is what I noticed about the last sick chick right before it died. I am worried it is something contagious, but it is so difficult to decipher what kind of disease it could be from the articles I read online. <sigh> They are $1 chicks, I just can't justify a vet's opinion. Was hoping the symptoms might sound familiar to someone, but I guess I am going to have to wait this out and hope for the best... hope that if it is some kind of treatable ailment that I'll figure it out before it wipes them ALL out!

Sometimes chicks just fail to thrive and it really has nothing to do with the care. I generally start chicks with vitamins and electrolytes to give them a good start and then medicated food. The poop didn't look bad although the picture didn't show color so I can't tell if there was blood in it which is kind of unlikely since you are feeding medicated food. Not to say it is impossible.

I agree these chicks look far less developed than 2 week old chicks should be. Maybe they had less than optimal habitat during the 2 days you didn't have them. I have some 5 days olds that are more feathered than these babies. As far as what could be wrong with them, I don't know. Good luck.

Thanks, again, for the advice! A question about electrolytes... where would I get poultry electrolytes? Could I just dilute some Pedialyte and use that?

Back
Top Bottom