Newbie with a Breed Question

Etoile2B

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 12, 2011
Hi! I'm new to the site. My husband and I are finally getting some chickens and we're so excited. We're having our coop installed this weekend and then we're going to pick up our new girls next weekend.
big_smile.png

We live in a very urban neighborhood with our neighbors practically on top of us. Our coop will be big enough for four girls with nesting boxes, an elevated run and roosts. Although we'll have space for four we're only going to start with two girls right now and ease our way into things. I have been doing some research on different breeds of chickens, looking at things like noise, friendliness, egg laying, broodiness, etc. and I think we have narrowed our choices down to three different kinds.

I know I definitely want an Australorp because they're known for their prolific egg laying and from what people have told me they seem relatively less chatty than some others and pretty docile and friendly. (Yes, I know that all chickens make noise and I can't wait to hear my first egg song but I am trying to respect my neighbors and research girls that tend to be less noisy than others.)

But I am having trouble choosing my second girl. I have in narrowed down to an Orpington or an Easter Egger. I hear that Orpingtons are also on the quiet, docile, friendly side and good for beginners but they have a tendency to be broody. I don't know much about the Easter Eggers but I really think it would be cool to have colored eggs. What are they like? Are they friendly, noisy? Why are there Easter Egger haters out there? What would you pick and why? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I would go with the Easter egger. They are very friendly! Mine is very quiet and polite! Neighbors won't be able to resist that bearded face and those colored eggs. My EE gives me an egg a day.

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Either would be great choices. Personally, I love our Easter Eggers. Ours are quiet, friendly, & of course, I love the color of their eggs. Good luck
thumbsup.gif

frow.gif
Welcome to the forum!
frow.gif
Glad you joined us!
frow.gif

If possible, I suggest you go with a minimum of three chickens. Chickens are social animals. They need other chickens around. If you only have two and something happens to one of them, you have an immediate problem that needs to be dealt with. If you have three, you have some time to deal with it.

I think you have the Orpington pegged fairly well. As a breed they tend to go broody, but it is up to the individual. Just because the breed has a tendency does not mean that specific one will, but the odds are not with you. Just to mention though, my Austtralorp went broody more than my Orpington. It just depends on the individual.

The EE is a lot harder to peg. EE is not a breed but a type. All they are is a chicken that should have the blue egg gene that may lay a blue or more likely green egg. A brown egg is also possible, depending on the genetics. They can be mixed with any breed, can be any size, and can be any color or pattern. They may or may not be good egg layers. They may or may not be small or large. Their legs can be any color. Their comb can be any type. There area few things they "should" be, but you will find that they don't all read the same book.

I don't know where you are getting your hens. You can talk to them about the EE's and maybe get some answers, but I think either would be a great choice. Odds are pretty good you would like either one or maybe one of each.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom