Newbie with chickens and pekins

Heatherranger

In the Brooder
Oct 22, 2020
Hello everyone!! I went to this site because one of my seven pekin ducks is limping and using wings to balance as she tries to lay and sometimes stuck somewhere with wings curved down to balance, i checked her left leg and i guess “foot” and not bumblefoot and can’t tell had someone else look at it doesn’t seem “broke” her feathers seem not to flow when wet like the others, she used to stay with flock when they get out of pond to forest/range but she remains in water until they all go to run at night. I put ointment and spray for healing on that leg yesterday but man i can’t detect what is going on with her and i feel terrible

Thank u, yeah I am hoping so too, This could be the Pekin that got attacked in July by coyote and got away and i worked on her chest open wound with Neosporin (original) beaded in info i found and a spray for wounds and it healed and she waddled a little slow then but that was chest wound, not sure if it’s her or another one of the 7 pekin all together, my nurture state is kicking but not solving her issue

Welcome to the BYC Family!!
I only have chickens... if it was a chicken and there was leg damage, I would keep her in a crate to minimize movement to allow the leg to heal.
Maybe swimming is helping the leg, and this why she waits until the last minute to come in.
Yes i agree with u on swimming part, i have thought of penning her by herself but i don’t have a pen or xtra dog crate yet to do so, it’s just bothering me because i can’t figure out what is going on, my chickens leave her alone and so does the male pekin (he is one of the seven)

Thank u, yeah I am hoping so too, This could be the Pekin that got attacked in July by coyote and got away and i worked on her chest open wound with Neosporin (original) beaded in info i found and a spray for wounds and it healed and she waddled a little slow then but that was chest wound, not sure if it’s her or another one of the 7 pekin all together, my nurture state is kicking but not solving her issue
If this is the one that was attacked, I'm wondering if there was a tendon that was injured in the attack.

I'm so sorry. Pekins are prone to bumblefoot and/or leg/feet issues because of their size. I have a Pekin suffering from BF now. @Isaac 0 @KaleIAm @Miss Lydia @Pyxis @WVduckchick are all very knowledgeable and helpful. Please post pictures of the duck, her legs and feet and the bottoms of her feet. I would keep her in a safe small area so she is resting. Vitamin B Complex is something to consider as well, like @sourland mentioned. I wish you all the best

Sorry to hear about your duck. Could you answer a few additional questions?

How old is she? What is she being fed? Is there any swelling around her hocks, or warm spots? Could you post a video of her trying to walk? To post a video, upload it to a video platform like Youtube or Vimeo, and copy/paste the link here.

I agree, with Sourland. It would be best if you mover her into a soft padded, that prevents her from injuring her legs again. Regardless if the problem is related to a vitamin b deficiency, I would start supplementation since B vitamins are essential to healthy leg growth and structure. You can get some Cattle vitamin B complex, and give her 1ml over treats, or orally.

If this is the one that was attacked, I'm wondering if there was a tendon that was injured in the attack.
I have been watching all the birds, i used to be able to point out the attacked injured one because her right side chest dipped towards ground more while open chest wound was healing, and she had a specific waddle, this injured one now has a completely different chest then all when it’s standing it legs width is wider then then the rest and chest seem flat in between where the others fluff in middle (don’t know the words “full chest” the others have)

Back
Top Bottom