1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie with question about light for hens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Cluckminster Fuller, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Cluckminster Fuller

Cluckminster Fuller Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    I just posted a question on a forum that was already open about how much light my hens need. They are in a coop with a window until about 11 AM, then back from the run about 7.30 PM right now, but when the time changes, they'll get less natural light. They are 5 months old and not laying yet. 2 RIRs, 1 Easter Egg, 2 Dominques. 1 EE rooster.

I'd like to help them start laying even though I had to buy hatchlings late in the season.

I live in North GA, on a mountain, and in addition to the 6 chickens, have a dog and 5 cats and a husband and I'm still involved in caring for my 91 year old mother, although
    she no longer lives in the house.

Pleased to meet you all.

2. Arcnadius

Arcnadius Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    Hi, and [​IMG]. Sorry I don't have any advice for you about lighting. I don't have chicks, yet, but from what I've read here, many don't light the coop except for human convenience and just let nature take it's course. There's lots of threads out there if you search Coop Lighting.

3. Cluckminster Fuller

Cluckminster Fuller Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    Thanks!

4. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Cluck, Welcome from Eastern Wa. I havnt put extra lighting in our coop yet, I hear you want them to have 12-14 hrs of light though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by