Newbie With Questions

Still air? As long as there is air flow, I don't see why not. They can be in a room with windows, just not like in front of the window where the sun is going to beam down on it and cause your temp to spike.

Sorry, yes still air incubator is what I was planning on. What still air incubators do you guys reccomend for a first-timer like me? Some specifications: still air, doesn't need to hold more than 6 dozen eggs but has to hold at least 2 dozen (around 4 dozen would be good but very flexible), doesn't need egg turner, not over $150-ish preferably. Thanks!

Last edited:
Your black sex links lay blue-green eggs and have pea combs? Wow! What breeds are their parents and grandparents? Just RIR and BR? I was under the impression my sex links would lay brown eggs and have a single comb.
They are EE roo x PBR hen. The color eggs your birds lay depends on their breeding. If you go the the thread titled Sex link information, it will give you plenty of information about breeding your own birds.

You want your incubator in a room where the temp is steady, there are no drafts and where it is not in direct sunlight. What kind of incubator are you using? I would definetly not suggest using a styrofoam bator in a place that wasn't heated as the room temp affects the bator's ability to hold temps greatly. You can brood in a garage or barn as long as the brooder is not where there are any drafts and a heat source is provided for the chicks.
If brooding in a garage or barn, an other consideration would be if there was the possibility of mice, rats or any other critters getting into the incubator. The biggest concern would be temp fluctuations.

Thanks for the info! Sorry, I was confused, thinking you were breeding RIR x BR as I am and getting a blue-green egg. I will to try that cross sometime, sounds cool!

Not a problem. The issue is that most folks, when they hear "sex link" think about the little chicks that come from the hatcheries. The term has such a negative connotation, because of the rep of hatchery sex links burning out at a young age. In reality, any chick that has a feather pattern that matches the parent of the opposite gender is a sex link. Home bred sex links, IMO can end up being superior to either of the parent birds b/c of the hybrid vigor factor. So, with my flock, my goal is to have some birds that will give me some FUN sex links.

Back
Top Bottom