Newbie with setting Runner Duck

VerdeVal

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 23, 2013

I have a happy mixed flock of several hens and five runner ducks. The ducks, who are one-year old, are three females and two males. My female, Eleanor, began setting a week ago, so I have been scouring this forum for information. Finally saw her off the nest yesterday so quickly checked the nest and candled the eggs. There are 13 eggs and all seem to show appropriate development. As you can see from this picture, she is very protective of her nest and was even growling at me as I took this picture. So for now, I'm just going to leave everyone alone...The rest of the flock is steering clear of her too. My question is whether I should segregate her from the rest of the flock when the ducklings hatch? It sure would be easier if they could all stay together!

i'd just watch them and leave her be..momma will keep them from her babies..and if you notice the other ducks seem to not be leaving her alone then maybe leave her but i've never really had that issue..generally the momma chases everyone away..including dad and is very protective. i've only had to worry about predators. That being said though, sometimes there is one duck that will just get in their head they want those babies and are relentless..if you notice that i'd separate..Most of the time it's not an issue, i've only had it happen a couple times..in my case i removed the offender and separated him rather than removing mama and her babies.

The babies started hatching yesterday and all is going well I think. Looks like six have hatched and two under Mom have started. I think we are still a full day ahead of schedule, so I'm hoping the others will hatch. The rest of the flock is totally ignoring all the excitement! I know birds hatch babies all the time, but the whole process never ceases to amaze me!

The babies started hatching yesterday and all is going well I think. Looks like six have hatched and two under Mom have started. I think we are still a full day ahead of schedule, so I'm hoping the others will hatch. The rest of the flock is totally ignoring all the excitement! I know birds hatch babies all the time, but the whole process never ceases to amaze me!

Beautiful! Congrats!!

Back
Top Bottom