Newbie with some sloping questions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by woogiebear, May 24, 2011.

1. woogiebear

woogiebear New Egg

May 24, 2011
    Hey all!
    I'm brand new to the forum and new to the chicken game. Have always been interested in raising some chickens and am buying a new house so it will give me a chance to get started. In my backyard there is a shed that is setting out over a hill with the back supported by posts. My thought was to enclose the open portion underneath and build a really cool coop. One question I have is - is it ok for the chickens to have their pen on a hill or do they need flat land? My property isn't that big, only 1.2 acres. Their areq would be sloped and semi sun and shade. Any thoughts? I close in 2 weeks!!
  2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Having the run on a bit of a slope is perfectly fine. Because it will tend to go to bare earth unless it is a HUGE run in relation to the number of chickens, there can sometimes be erosion problems. When/whether this occurs will depend on your soil and on your degree of slope. If you think it is a possible issue, you might want to either build an extra-really-big run so's to encourage some vegetation to stay, or proactively install some landscape ties or whatnot to hold back some of the earth (sort of micro-terraces) and do everything possible to divert uphill runoff *around* the run.

It would be best to have the indoor henhouse floor flat, if possible. In fact if it's on a slope I think that, b/c it is almost guaranteed to get runoff wanting to come thru, you'd be best off with a raised wooden floor, perhaps with 18" or so underneath it that the chickens can use as a covered portion of the run.

Good luck, have fun,

3. woogiebear

woogiebear New Egg

May 24, 2011
    The landscape ties are a great idea, thanks! Yup, I was planning on keeping the coop level and having them walk down a ramp to the ground. Thanks for the advice! i was just looking thru the forums (Yup, it IS addicting) to find out how many chickens fer square foot is good. I'm only looking to raise about 5-10 max. Thanks again!
  4. LilMissPetie

LilMissPetie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    I agree. I'm new too and haven't even been a member for 24 hours. I'm ADDICTED already [​IMG] [​IMG]
  5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Only issue I see with a pitched floor is watering the birds unless you use a leveled piece of gutter or nipples you may have to put waterer on a dug in & leveled platform (mine are on 2X6 frames with hardware cloth stretched over it to keep hen feet out of mud)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by