Newbie with temperature problems

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hangin'witthepeeps, May 4, 2009.

1. hangin'witthepeeps

hangin'witthepeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Colbert, GA
    Okay, I have one regular thermometer which I stick in a ziplock baggie filled with water and folded over to make "water wiggler", it reads 100.9. There is an aquarium thermometer in there also which read 101.2. I have another thermometer which is filled with clay and in a molded egg which reads 98.6. I have a digital thermometer/hydrometer which reads 102 with 46% humidity. I have an outside thermometer which reads 100 on the wall of the incubator. Do I average these temps and say I'm in the good or is there one more dependable than the other? I'm at a loss of what to do. I candled and I have the "spider" in some eggs. I'm on day 5 and the spider is small with few veins. Some I just see the yolk. Thanks for your help.

2. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    It sounds like you are ok.
    Good Luck!

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Too many thermometers going. You will drive yourself nuts. Stick to the one in the home made water wiggler. That is the one you need to be concerned about, and it looks good. Good Luck! [​IMG]

4. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:I like to have 2 therms both proven showing true reading.

One digital one analog.

If you use one that's OK but you need to be 100% positive it is a reliable one.

Bad thermometers killed lots of hatches as numerous threads on this board had been reporting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by