:welcome

Hi, it's nice to have you here!

Do you have a rooster? That's the only way that girl is going to have fertile eggs that will hatch. Even with fertile eggs, some chickens just won't go broody. And other chickens will try to brood eggs no matter if they are fertile or not.

Thanks for joining us!

Hi! :frow Welcome to BYC! A broody hen will let you know when she's broody. Until then, collect the eggs every day. If you have hot weather, make that a couple times a day.

:welcome

Hi, it's nice to have you here!

Do you have a rooster? That's the only way that girl is going to have fertile eggs that will hatch. Even with fertile eggs, some chickens just won't go broody. And other chickens will try to brood eggs no matter if they are fertile or not.

Thanks for joining us!
Thank you for your reply. Yes I have a rooster and 2 hen's... I've raised them from chicks. Today was the first time that ive found eggs in their coop. If my hens turn broody and the eggs are fertile what signs can I look for that tells me the hen is broody and I need to leave the eggs?

Hi! :frow Welcome to BYC! A broody hen will let you know when she's broody. Until then, collect the eggs every day. If you have hot weather, make that a couple times a day.
Thank you for replying. Ive got 2 hens and a rooster. Today was the 1st time finding eggs. Should I leave the eggs till I see if she is going to broody

A broody hen will sit on the nest and growl when you approach her to gather eggs. She wont get off the nest if you take the eggs under her, assuming you can do this. :lau

what signs can I look for that tells me the hen is broody
Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?
If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?
If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

I like the way you describe that aart! Very funny, but on target :gig

It's best to have your pullets and cockerels mature longer before even trying to hatch their eggs. Pullet eggs tend to be smaller, and that's not best for the chicks inside.
By late winter or better yet, spring, a broody would be nice.
Before hatching any chicks, have a plan for them. What will you do with all those cockerels? If moving them on elsewhere, or eating them, is not what you want to do, don't hatch any!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom