Katielovell530

Chirping
Apr 24, 2020
Grass Valley, California
Ok this is my first flock of chickens. I have 4 hens and 1 rooster. When my girls start laying what happens if the rooster has got to them? Do the eggs need to be picked up right away? Do they know if one is fertilized? How long does it take for a chick to grow and hatch? I have so many questions! I didn’t intend to end up with a rooster and now I am attached so I would love to keep him. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok this is my first flock of chickens. I have 4 hens and 1 rooster. When my girls start laying what happens if the rooster has got to them? Do the eggs need to be picked up right away? Do they know if one is fertilized? How long does it take for a chick to grow and hatch? I have so many questions! I didn’t intend to end up with a rooster and now I am attached so I would love to keep him. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The rooster has so much to teach you! What we have learned from our rooster in a year!!! Still learning, forever learning. There are some great threads on this forum - you can even search for what you are looking for and find scores of threads containing lots of experience from others. Super helpful - have fun!

I would love to know if the hens know if the eggs are fertilized....

When my girls start laying what happens if the rooster has got to them?
How old are the birds now?
The male will likely try to 'get' the girls before they start laying eggs.
Male chickens become sexually mature(at about 3-4 months old)
before females do(onset of lay is about 18-28 weeks).
It can be disturbingly chaotic when that happens.
Best to have a place to segregate the male if he's too aggressive.

FYI-PSA.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.

Back
Top Bottom