Newbie :)

Ecalix

Chirping
Apr 24, 2021
Miami, Florida
Hi all!!

I’m new to chicken raising. I live in Florida and have wanted chickens for quite some time and a couple weeks ago I mentioned it to my dad.
A week ago my dad surprised me with a Hen and her 9 babies. 😅 I wasn’t quite ready for them. The chicks are about 4-5 weeks and are free in the back yard. We are working on building them a coop but for now we have set a safe space for her but she prefers a corner of the yard that has overgrown grass 🤷🏻‍♀️ We have a huge American Bulldog -Lola and I’m surprised at how the chicken gets so close to her and Lola does nothing. I’m glad it has worked out this way, however we still tie her up while the chicks are roaming free to avoid any accidents .
I don’t know what kind of chickens they are as my dad got them from a neighbor who has many of his flock just invading other peoples yards. (Common situation in miami). Currently there are 3 mommas and their babies in my dad’s yard so the owner let my dad keep this one and the babies.
I found this page while looking for information on all things related to chickens. I hope to learn a lot!
Currently im giving them RO filtered water. Organic starter feed which they barely touch. Chicken crack for the momma. She loves it but is still hesitant to come to me. I have started to sprout grains for them but they love eating all the fallen mangoes in the yard. 🥭 I hope this makes for yummy eggs in the future.

Attachments

• 4B4A53A9-7EEA-4D66-A7B6-B3B6A825B48F.jpeg
    4B4A53A9-7EEA-4D66-A7B6-B3B6A825B48F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • B4FFE58D-A9A1-4CFF-AF12-DFCAD8B37741.png
    B4FFE58D-A9A1-4CFF-AF12-DFCAD8B37741.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom