Oh this is totally doable. I'm from Denver ( live in SW Neb now) and have learned how resilient chickens are in cold. They're folks from Alaska here.
So think of chickens having down coats with no hoods. In bitter cold their combs may frostbite and their toes, but they're incredibly tough. Just plan on them being locked in coop at times and plan accordingly. Don't overcrowd them. Overbuild and the ventilation should be high up to release moisture and ammonia build up , way above their heads as they sit on roost. Keep them dry . Mine did fine in 23 below wind chill but I kept them cooped up during the windiest. They love the cold mine hate wind and HATE Snow!. We have the run covered now so their out of coop 98% of the daylight hours.
What's your elev.?
I expect you have lots of predators up there. Both birds and animals alike so plan for that but you'll I've them and their eggs. Ask questions learn lots and enjoy it here. Welcome.
Helen colo. native.

Oh this is totally doable. I'm from Denver ( live in SW Neb now) and have learned how resilient chickens are in cold. They're folks from Alaska here.
So think of chickens having down coats with no hoods. In bitter cold their combs may frostbite and their toes, but they're incredibly tough. Just plan on them being locked in coop at times and plan accordingly. Don't overcrowd them. Overbuild and the ventilation should be high up to release moisture and ammonia build up , way above their heads as they sit on roost. Keep them dry . Mine did fine in 23 below wind chill but I kept them cooped up during the windiest. They love the cold mine hate wind and HATE Snow!. We have the run covered now so their out of coop 98% of the daylight hours.
What's your elev.?
I expect you have lots of predators up there. Both birds and animals alike so plan for that but you'll I've them and their eggs. Ask questions learn lots and enjoy it here. Welcome.
Helen colo. native.
Thanks so much for the tips. I live at 8500 feet near Winter Park. Yes there are foxes, coyotes, birds of prey, have not seen any bears but I’m sure they’re here, mink and martins. So planning to make it secure from all that.

Back
Top Bottom