Newbie :)

CarolinaLady

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2022
Hello everyone! I'm a wife/mom/work full time......& I'm Hoping to get chickens again soon! This time I hope to try for free ranging that can survive off our almost 30 acres. I'd say about 2/3 wooded with lots of areas to hide and scrounge. My two dogs are also out 24/7 so hoping they will help keep predators away and not be one Ha.

Would love to hear of any others who have had success in this. And what breeds you have if so! Have had quite a few breeds in the past that free ranged a horse pasture only but were still given layer feed. They did well until some hawk attacks (not enough areas to hide unfortunately) and a storm that flipped the coop. (The hawk attacks were at a previous living location- however current home site has hawks as well & is in the same region).

Have dealt with naughty roosters and this is one of my top priorities for a free range bunch considering I have a toddler. ( He will be taken care of swiftly if he turns into a jerk that can't be fixed - but i've also had a pretty good roo). So hoping that I can get a well behaved boy! If not ...can manage without one I reckon.
I've heard the Barred Rocks notoriously tend to be good Roos and Rhode Island Reds tend to not be. Any input from folks who've had those? Or other good foraging breeds with good or bad roos reviews? Haha.
Side note: I love so many breeds of birds but I'd like to have a flock of all the same for future chick purposes. Not completely necessary, but ideal.

1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I first got chickens in 2020? But had to rehome the few that were left after hawk attacks and a storm flipped the coop. (Had 15 at most at once)

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Zero :(

(3) What breeds do you have?

Had RR/Blue Orpington/ISA Brown/Black Sexlink/Brahma x Blue/Splash Orp/Black Jersey Giant

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Love gathering eggs. Love the personalities and how funny chickens are! Also like learning new things about what to tweak when with feeding them for optimal chicken keeping.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Horseback Riding / outdoors / staying active

Welcome to BYC, and good luck in establishing your flock. What are your goals with your flock?
Hello! :) Just another thing to enjoy/have self sufficient and maybe share some eggs or take a few to the farmers market on occasion. However, just having enough for us would be sufficient. :)
I would like to have about 8-10 chickens to start with to see how it goes. And then if they can sustain themselves great! Maybe see if some of the hens will hatch their own in the future to keep replenishing young ones in. That would be ideal.

Back
Top Bottom