crazy4wdracer

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 6, 2009
Western PA
Hi everyone,
I'm new here and I'm from western PA. I'm looking to raise some chickens for eggs and sell some eggs locally too for some extra money but I know I'm barely going to make anything. I will be off work until the end of July so I think this will be something good to occupy my time. The chickens I am interested in raising are RIR's and leghorns. Of course I do have questions though. Are these good chickens to start off with? I am probably going to be raising these from hatchling eggs, is this a good idea for a noob? If I do that I will obviously buy an incubator.

Last edited:
Yes Yes and Yes! welcome newbie from WA
welcome-byc.gif
jumpy.gif
bun.gif

welcome-byc.gif
from Arizona. Good luck with your chickens. We don't make any extra money from our egg sales, but it does pay for their feed. Sometimes they buy the dog and cat food, too.
smile.png

Do you guys and gals think Coturnix Quail, Chickens, or Turkeys would be best for me to start off with? I'm thinking Quail would best because they don't really need a coop built, I could just build a cage myself. I just bought a new Hovabator and should have it soon, I'm really looking forward to it.

Last edited:
I would recomend RIReds. The first egg layer I got was a Red. Red's are hearty birds and good layers. My hen "Betsy" lays regularly and consistantly. I live in MA, in the east like you and I think Red's are also great for this climate. (The short summers and long winters) The important thing to consider though is that any one can offer you advice, you have to decide on the what is best for you and your individual needs.

I also want to add that the hens won't start laying until they are around 20 weeks old.(Some will start to lay sooner than others.) I am not sure how soon you would like to get fresh eggs from your hens. If you want eggs to sell sooner rather than later, you may want to look at started pullets. The ones that I have seen online are usually about 17 weeks old. If you hatch your own eggs and raise your own hens, or get day old hatchlings you'll have to wait for them to grow up before they are ready to start laying.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom