Lauryc

Hatching
9 Years
Nov 19, 2010
Hello.

I started reading this forum before getting a few chickens back in June.
I found lots of useful information and especially liked the coops.

We live in Spain in the "campo" and have an acre of garden (field) which is being partitioned for garden, veges and a few hens.

We built a run 4 metres wide and 12 metres long and built a small raised coop above ground which is permanently open for them to hop in and out for egg laying and sleeping.

From a local supplier, we bought 4 hens that were approximately 4 months old.. one black and 3 red. No idea of breed but presumably something suitable for our hot summers as all the local farmers keep the same.

They have been laying sporadically, but not regularly. Until the last two weeks.
The reds stopped laying but the black has been laying large eggs almost every day until yesterday.

Today when I went down to them I found all the reds pecking the black's feet constantly. They are bleeding and I don't know what to do.

I hope someone on here can give me advice please. I heard that hens can't be mixed but why would they wait almost six months before picking on her?

Sorry for the ramble. Oh by the way I am from England and moved to Spain 2 years ago.

Laury

welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif
it sounds to me like maybe the black one hurt her foot causing a little blood and now the rest are pecking at it because of the blood. Seperate her clean her up put some antibotic cream without pain reliever then maybe some blu kote so they wont peck at her anymore.

I put a temporary partition up yesterday and confined her to a pretty small 1m x 1m x1m triangle to keep her safe.
Today we will make something a bit bigger for her to get better in . I t may be useful later if we want to rear chicks too.

What's Blue kote please?

Blu-Kote is a germicide/fungicide for wounds. I had to use it on a hen who had her comb ripped by a rooster. The stuff is messy and stains. She is still purple from it months later but she healed really well.

Thank you for the welcomes.
smile.png

The plot thickens here.

We went out early yesterday to buy more fencing wire and stuff to make an enclosure within the enclosure for the hen to rest in away from the bullies.
When we got back, we found her quite improved but another hen had her foot pecked to bits and was trailing blood everywhere.
What on earth is going on with these hens?

Back
Top Bottom