angelabauer601

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 30, 2013
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? Had chickens growing up (my fave was a Red Rooster named Henrietta, don't judge, I was only 5) along with horses, cows, dogs, cats, a fox, and alligators.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? 0 my daughter and husband are trying to convince me to get some and I am researching it to see if it is going to be a pain in the butt, cause you all know how it goes when the kids want a pet and who get left to tend to it, MAMA

(3) What breeds do you have?

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? Facebook

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? photography, scuba diving, travel

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. We are downsized to a family of 3 (other children are grown). We have 2 dachshunds and a salt water aquarium. My concerns for getting chickens are the fact that the weenies will eat the chickens. My grandfather has chickens and a dog and every morning he lets the chickens out of the coop into a unfenced yard and his dog sits there and watches the chickens. I don't think that would even be possible with my dogs. They play with frogs, slinging them from their mouthes and making them jump, pouncing them with their paws until they tire with playing with them and tear their back legs off. The other concern is the time and effort to put into them and although they will be producing eggs, only my daughter and I eat eggs and not on a regular basis. I have thought about selling them, but I am unfamiliar with laws pertaining to the sell of eggs. My occupation is MOM, but on the side my husband and I own a drugstore and I am a photographer as well. I hope that by joining this group, I can get answers and ideas before my husband finds an online chicken breeder (i bet he tries to look up chickens r us)!!!! THanks

Welcome to BYC!!!
frow.gif
Glad to have you aboard!!
highfive.gif

welcome-byc.gif
If you don't need the chickens for eggs maybe you would be happier with bantam (small) breeds that aren't kept for layers. Kids especially seem to love Silkies (great eye candy) and seramas (smallest breed of chicken) originally bred to be housepets. Any breed you get it is better to have 2-3 of them - chickens are flock creatures and don't usually do well solo.

Back
Top Bottom