Newbie:)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by laineyh1703, Feb 3, 2015.

1. laineyh1703

laineyh1703 New Egg

Dec 23, 2014
    I ordered silkies and I don't know anything about them. I have been researching about them, but that has not been helping at all. What all should I know about them?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    :welcome
    Glad you could join the flock! I don't have silkies my self but a friend does and they are a lovely little bird very friendly and such soft feathers they make great pets for children as they are a gentle in nature. Silkies are known as one of the broody hens out there which can some times be problem if you don't want broody hens or them to hatch chicks. Here are some reviews on silkies in this link I hope you find it of some help https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=Silkies+&type=15

Be sure to ask any questions you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly. There is a section in the forum for all aspects of chicken keeping for you to ask questions.

Good luck with your silkies and hope you enjoy BYC :frow

3. cypressdrake

cypressdrake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2012
    Thibodaux, Louisiana.
    From what I know the hens/pullets, go broody and will try to hatch a golf ball. They are good for incubators, and good mothers. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. I used to raise Black Silkies and they are sweet, calm gentle, friendly, funny little birds that don't fly. My children made lap pets of them. They are not good layers, but are best brooders and mothers in the chicken world. Our Silkies raised a number of broods for us. I would not recommend trying to keep Silkies with standard sized breeds as they are likely to take a beating. You should check out our Silkie section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/silkie. There is lots of good information on Silkies there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your Silkies.

5. cypressdrake

cypressdrake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2012
    Thibodaux, Louisiana.
    Hello from Louisiana. Glad you joined the group [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC - put "Silkie thread," in the searchbox, and it will bring up the largest thread on silkies (there are several usually by color ie., Paint silkies thread, Nothing but patridge silkies, etc. There is also the "Showgirl" variety of silkie you might consider.

7. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined.

You've been given some good links and advice already. From what I've heard, somethings you should know are:

• They are docile birds that make great pets. However, this also makes them vulnerable to attacks by more dominant breeds of chicken (Rhode Island Reds for example).
    • Silkies are more vulnerable to predators than some other breeds. This is because they have crests and can't see very well upwards. Therefore, hawks and predators can easily swoop down on them without being noticed.
    • Silkies go broody very often and make good mothers. If you ever want to expand your flock, Silkies will help you out!
    • Silkies tend to be more prone to certain diseases and neurological problems than some other breeds.
    • Silkies sometimes need tighter, warmer housing than other breeds, but can still be cold hardy.
    • They aren't very good at flying, so won't escape from pens as easily. But, this makes them more susceptible to predators.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your future Silkies. They are very beautiful and cute birds.

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by