Newbie:)

laineyh1703

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 23, 2014
I ordered silkies and I don't know anything about them. I have been researching about them, but that has not been helping at all. What all should I know about them?

:welcome
Glad you could join the flock! I don't have silkies my self but a friend does and they are a lovely little bird very friendly and such soft feathers they make great pets for children as they are a gentle in nature. Silkies are known as one of the broody hens out there which can some times be problem if you don't want broody hens or them to hatch chicks. Here are some reviews on silkies in this link I hope you find it of some help https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=Silkies+&type=15

Be sure to ask any questions you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly. There is a section in the forum for all aspects of chicken keeping for you to ask questions.

Good luck with your silkies and hope you enjoy BYC :frow

From what I know the hens/pullets, go broody and will try to hatch a golf ball. They are good for incubators, and good mothers.
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. I used to raise Black Silkies and they are sweet, calm gentle, friendly, funny little birds that don't fly. My children made lap pets of them. They are not good layers, but are best brooders and mothers in the chicken world. Our Silkies raised a number of broods for us. I would not recommend trying to keep Silkies with standard sized breeds as they are likely to take a beating. You should check out our Silkie section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/silkie. There is lots of good information on Silkies there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your Silkies.

Welcome to BYC - put "Silkie thread," in the searchbox, and it will bring up the largest thread on silkies (there are several usually by color ie., Paint silkies thread, Nothing but patridge silkies, etc. There is also the "Showgirl" variety of silkie you might consider.

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined.

You've been given some good links and advice already. From what I've heard, somethings you should know are:

• They are docile birds that make great pets. However, this also makes them vulnerable to attacks by more dominant breeds of chicken (Rhode Island Reds for example).
  • Silkies are more vulnerable to predators than some other breeds. This is because they have crests and can't see very well upwards. Therefore, hawks and predators can easily swoop down on them without being noticed.
  • Silkies go broody very often and make good mothers. If you ever want to expand your flock, Silkies will help you out!
  • Silkies tend to be more prone to certain diseases and neurological problems than some other breeds.
  • Silkies sometimes need tighter, warmer housing than other breeds, but can still be cold hardy.
  • They aren't very good at flying, so won't escape from pens as easily. But, this makes them more susceptible to predators.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your future Silkies. They are very beautiful and cute birds.

Back
Top Bottom