Newbies first attempt at a humble coop,phase two new picts

Very good! Sawing that wafer board is harder than regular wood, you know (it's mostly glue), so give yourself credit!
big_smile.png
I built mine last year, and I keep modifying it, so you have lots of time to keep changing it as the birds grow and you see other needs.
smile.png

Hey, don't apoligize for trying. It's a great start. Suggest that you secure that wire to the wood, in the corners and midway on long runs, with screws and fender washers. Do not leave a loose flap for a critter to slip under on for a dog to tug on. Also remember although you may have dogs, the coons will find you and visit someday and you'll be ready.

Don't worry about a nest box too much yet and a milk crate or old kitty litter pan with a pile of grass or straw will work great, just don't set it under the roost
wink.png
. 1 box per about 5 chickens is plenty.

Last edited:
I do wonder about what might be lurking. I live five miles from Downtown, and I haven't seen so much as a skunk around here. My dogs did kill a possum a few weeks back, cats, the dogs themselves and rats are a big concern. I covered the top of the run with board, there's just no reason to have any exposed sides but one. I'd love to use something that would allow me to see clearly into run.

Can you see the 2x4's along the front? There are four, and I'm thinking of adding four more, to make the gaps too small for the dogs head to fit in, then adding the hard wire cloth on both sides.

looks great, much better then i could do with no power tools. I do have a questions how did you put the pictures in your post

I'm working on some small runs for my birds.Mind you I worked with Home Depot for a very long time and built lots of models and projects,however am NOT carpenter inclined at all.So basically what I did was build it from full length lumber,so the only thing I had to cut were my 4x4s.(didn't bury them in the ground,and only made these small runs 4 ft high.I will post pics later.) I did a pretty good job on my brooders,my pens however not so great.ground is uneven,so the boards go up and down,...lol.But it is very surdy and will work well...lol.Kinda like the addition I made to the back of hubby's rabbit shed.It was 12x24 and I decided to add on and make it 24x24.well,the back half that I built myself isn't as great as hubby's...lol.... Anyoone over 5' 5" will knock their head off...lol...but I'm only 5'3 so it works great for me...hehe...

New picts after looking over the coops posted.

I added the left over siding on two sides, I need to get to the nack of the coop that faces the fence and my neighbor garage.

SS850014.jpg

I put casing around the windows, took off the plastic netting and added fiberglass window screen, which will be topped by hardwire cloth. I finished painting the top and I will put the shingles on the roof tomorrow. Just came from the dentist so I'm not feeling it today.

SS850010.jpg

here's the inside, I haven't finished painting it yet, but they still trying out the roost.

SS850015.jpg

And here's my bird family, at least the ones you can see, the banties hide behind the others.

SS850019.jpg

I put the nestbox on, 2 nests, and a new roof and rolled asphalt shingles. Screens are in, the gap is considerable smaller now, I may need more windows.

they still sleep together in the cardboard box, how long will they do that? if it's a permanent thing, then I will get them a plastic tub.

The sand and sweet PDZ is in, I need more DE.

Should I paint the inside?

Back
Top Bottom