Newbies!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by LRH97, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Stunning birds. I'm thinking of getting a couple of geese next year (my wife is delighted -NOT [​IMG]) - they will help keep the grass in check and hopefully be a little more interactive than most of my chickens.

CT

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Thank you! I think geese in general get a bad rep. I really do think they are magnificent and worth to have around. The best advice I can give you is play and spend time with them when they're young. My two Super Africans which I raised since they were goslings are almost like dogs. They'll both run up to you and want their chests rubbed any time you're outside. The two newer ones I got as adults are making progress, but aren't (and probably will never be) as friendly as the other two. They're also great sentries to the chickens. I've witnessed my newest puppy (that hasn't learned the chickens are off-limits yet) almost get mauled by one of the ganders. Only downside, some neighbors may not appreciate how "talkative" geese can be. [​IMG]

3. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    Thanks for the advice - i will bear that in mind! Guess its the same as chickens - the one's i have bred are friendly since i handled them a lot when they were young, but the mature hens i bought are certainly nowhere near as friendly.

I'll have to look into the cons of noise and other issues before i embark on this (for my own preparation and preparing a water-tight case to present to my wife [​IMG])

Thanks once again
    CT

4. LRH97

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    You're certainly welcome! Good luck convincing her and I hope it goes in your favor![​IMG]

5. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    Thanks - I'll have to use my (non-existent) charm for sure!

CT

1 person likes this.
  6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

@LRH97 I look forward to seeing the 4 together, how is it going with them? still getting along? We don't get to see Super Africans on here often.

I sure understand about the weather, we're thinking of building an ark, we have had non stop rain since Sunday. [​IMG]

7. LRH97

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Everything is finally starting to dry out here. It's pretty nice out today so I think I'll go snap a few pictures. They are still getting along great! Also forgot to mention that I got a nice little present from one of the geese last week. A big ole egg! I'm sure it was Loretta (the white mixed goose). There are now four eggs in her nest that she carefully buries in the straw every day.

8. Miss Lydia

Your not going to let her brood this time of year are you? Goose eggs are mighty tasty.

9. LRH97

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Hadn't planned on it. I've been down the winter brooding road with a couple of very determined Silkies. Kept them under a heat lamp etc. Too much of a hassle. I just kept the eggs in there to encourage her to keep using her box. :D I'll try eating some sometime!

10. Miss Lydia

I love them as omelets. I know I discourage winter brooding too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by