Newbies!

UPDATE:

Went outside today and noticed Conway not inside his house. He's been sleeping inside during the night and spending the day foraging with the other two geese and chickens, occasionally checking up on Loretta. Tonight I found him on guard outside Loretta's nesting box. I come closer and he lets out his most impressive hiss. (I have found that Conway is a pretty big bluffer.) Then I heard cheeping. Don't know how many I have out of the three eggs that she is on, but I will hopefully find out tomorrow. Even though I think Conway's bark is worse than his bite, I'm not going to put a goose's parental instincts to the test too much. Even though inevitably I am going to have to check up on mom and babies whether he likes it or not. :D

Do you have any clue of who through parents are? Of course the mother is African but the father?
I've had AfricanXEmbden goslings for the past two years but never had goslings when the father was embden and mother was African ;)

Do you have any clue of who through parents are? Of course the mother is African but the father?
I've had AfricanXEmbden goslings for the past two years but never had goslings when the father was embden and mother was African
wink.png
Actually the mother is an Emden cross and the father should be a pure Emden. My Super African pair will only be a year old in May so I'm expecting their first eggs this coming spring and I doubt my SA gander got together with the Emden cross goose. I caught one glimpse of a gosling's head and it didn't look pure yellow, so I'll post pictures as soon as mom takes the kids for a stroll. This spring I may try to get the SA goose with the Emden gander and see what happens.
big_smile.png

Woops thought Loretta was the female African.
Your female is white with grey feathers so the goslings could be any colour ;)
Usually with pure embdens the males are very light and the females are darker.
With crosses both can be the same colour.
Usually the males have a purple colour beak but we'll see after they're born!

Here they are! Today was "family stroll" day I guess. This is the first time I've really gotten to get a good look at all of them and their first venture out of the nest.They all hatched! It is getting pretty chilly here, but I watched mom pretty closely while they were all out foraging and she seems to know when to take a break to squat down to let the babies warm up. Dad pretty much "cusses" anything that comes near. (He actually almost got a hold of one the dogs that got a little too curious!)

Here they are! Today was "family stroll" day I guess. This is the first time I've really gotten to get a good look at all of them and their first venture out of the nest.They all hatched! It is getting pretty chilly here, but I watched mom pretty closely while they were all out foraging and she seems to know when to take a break to squat down to let the babies warm up. Dad pretty much "cusses" anything that comes near. (He actually almost got a hold of one the dogs that got a little too curious!)

How precious Congrats to you all!!

Hello everyone, PapaGoose here :) Just wanted to say hello and thank all who are contributing to this amazing forum. I would send you some pics of my flock but I dont have permission yet
thumbsup.gif

Hello everyone, PapaGoose here :) Just wanted to say hello and thank all who are contributing to this amazing forum. I would send you some pics of my flock but I dont have permission yet
thumbsup.gif
@PapaGoose27 Welcome BYC
start by telling us all about your geese and before you know it you'll have enough posts to share pics..
smile.png

@PapaGoose27 Welcome BYC
start by telling us all about your geese and before you know it you'll have enough posts to share pics..
smile.png

Thank you Miss Lydia.
I have 10 beautiful old breed Roman geese (without the tuft) - they say that these are the original breed domesticated from the wild North European Graylag. They are very sweet although sometimes quite noisy particularly now that the breeding season is in full swing. They share the farm with a few miniature Beltsville turkeys (very funny birds), some Khaki Campbells

, three Muscovies, and 6 cute heavy French guinea fowl.

Back
Top Bottom