newby at hatching eggs: questions!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kareninthesun, Jul 18, 2011.

1. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    I have a dozen eggs that are hanging out in the incubator. They are marked between July 01-04. I have an automatic egg turner. Do I take out the egg turner and comfy them all down on their sides at the same time? The eggs were delivered to me via mail July 07, and I set up and put them in the incubator 24 hours later.

What is the ideal temp and humidity for this period, once I remove the egg turner?

2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

You stop the turner on day 18 and bump the humidity up to 55-65%. You can take them out and lay them on their sides or depending on the type of incubator you have, you can just turn the turner off and leave them upright in the turner.

3. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    The dates on the eggs would probably just be so the seller could keep track of how fresh his eggs were. It doesn't mean the oldest ones will hatch first. Eggs don't start developing till they're heated up, whether that's in an incubator or under a hen. Or sometimes even in very hot weather!

So your eggs should all be ready to hatch at the same time, and you should stop turning them all at the same time. Ideal temp for the lockdown period is the same as it's been up till now, 99.5F in a bator with a fan, and 101.5 at the tops of the eggs in a bator without a fan. Humidity is harder to recommend, people have success with all sorts of humidity depending on their area, their bator and even whether their house is airconditioned or not. But in general for lockdown, above 60% is good and some people even like to go a bit higher.

Good luck!

4. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

Since you set them on July 8th, take them out of the turner on the 26th. Hatching should start on the 29th/30th.

Temps and humidity as Gypsy stated above.

5. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Thank you!!! I was a little confused as to when you start the countdown. Chickens are sure created practical! Makes me a little bit more relaxed since I have a seriously crazy commitment of time starting this Wed until Sunday at the convention center. I won't be distracted like crazy from worrying and calling home to check.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by