Newby from S. Indiana

bradley10466

Chirping
Jan 17, 2023
Southwestern Indiana
Hi, I'm from S. Indiana just outside of Evansville. We're both retired, and living the good life!! We live on 5 acres, 2 of which are part of a shared lake with our neighbors. I love gardening. About 5 years ago I switched from in-ground gardening to raised bed gardening. I find it much easier to maintain raised beds, and I am getting better results as well. I looked at getting chickens about 5 years ago, but my better half was not on board with it, so I put it off. Now she is on board, and we're looking forward to starting our chicken flock.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
A) Yes, I'm new. When I was a kid, dad raised broilers, so I kinda know what I'm getting into. I'm looking at getting 6 layers this spring. I'm getting the brooder and the coop ready in the meantime.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
A
) None right now, but plan on getting 6 layers in the next month or so.

(3) What breeds do you have?
A) I'm looking at getting sex link hybrid layers. I want chickens that are good layers, friendly, and not too broody. It's all going to depend on what our local rural stores have available. I may mail order if I can't find what breeds I want locally.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
A) We like animals and enjoy interacting with them. We like the added bonus on fresh eggs also.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
A) Gardening. We will have plenty of fresh treats for our chickens to enjoy. I've got a fence around the garden, so the chickens will only enjoy what I give them!! We have a SxS and love taking rides with the grandkids.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
A) The wife and I are retired and empty nesters. We have two grown children. One is living locally, and has 3 kids, and the other is living in Texas, and has 3 kids. We have no other pets right now but have had cats and rabbits in the past.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
A) I found BYC about 5-6 years ago. I rediscovered BYC when we got a renewed interest in getting our own backyard chicken flock.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I'm getting the brooder and the coop ready in the meantime.
Build the coop first then broody in the coop using a brooder plate while you finish building the run. It's SO much better for the chicks and you is they are raised outside with copious amounts of fresh air and sunshine.

Hi, I'm from S. Indiana just outside of Evansville. We're both retired, and living the good life!! We live on 5 acres, 2 of which are part of a shared lake with our neighbors. I love gardening. About 5 years ago I switched from in-ground gardening to raised bed gardening. I find it much easier to maintain raised beds, and I am getting better results as well. I looked at getting chickens about 5 years ago, but my better half was not on board with it, so I put it off. Now she is on board, and we're looking forward to starting our chicken flock.
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
A) Yes, I'm new. When I was a kid, dad raised broilers, so I kinda know what I'm getting into. I'm looking at getting 6 layers this spring. I'm getting the brooder and the coop ready in the meantime.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
A
) None right now, but plan on getting 6 layers in the next month or so.

(3) What breeds do you have?
A) I'm looking at getting sex link hybrid layers. I want chickens that are good layers, friendly, and not too broody. It's all going to depend on what our local rural stores have available. I may mail order if I can't find what breeds I want locally.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
A) We like animals and enjoy interacting with them. We like the added bonus on fresh eggs also.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
A) Gardening. We will have plenty of fresh treats for our chickens to enjoy. I've got a fence around the garden, so the chickens will only enjoy what I give them!! We have a SxS and love taking rides with the grandkids.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
A) The wife and I are retired and empty nesters. We have two grown children. One is living locally, and has 3 kids, and the other is living in Texas, and has 3 kids. We have no other pets right now but have had cats and rabbits in the past.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
A) I found BYC about 5-6 years ago. I rediscovered BYC when we got a renewed interest in getting our own backyard chicken flock.
Welcome to BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom