Newby here...

Cove View Farm

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
Calvert County, Maryland
Hello all.. I am a new chicken owner... here's how it started...
I told my boss I was thinking of raising some chickens for eggs. He got excited and built me a coup. I have a neighbor that has 30+ chickens -he sells his eggs. He ordered me some chicks but come to find out, they won't be here til the middle of summer.
sad.png
I finished my chicken area real well with wire, buried it and put a roof of wire all around the run. We have a lot of red-tail, eagles, 'coons, and foxes. I got impatient, went down to the Amish market last weekend, and bought a couple 'broiler' hens. All the 'layers' were sold by 8 am.
I did a search here on whether or not broilers will lay eggs but didn't find one. Either way, they are nice quiet chickens, and my kids are enjoying them so far. I will just have to wait til my chicks come and grow for eggs til next year if they don't.
smile.png
So I guess that's my first question!
big_smile.png
Will my broilers lay?

Hi and welcome to BYC! I guess it depends on what kind of chickens they are? Anyone else? Someone in the meat chicken forum might know.

Hi! Thanks,
Well, I have pix of them but don't know how to post here... still working on figuring that out. They are reddish colored and have yellow feet. They are a few pounds each... not very big, if I were to guess.

lol.png
yes... It is funny.. My husband wasn't too thrilled I was picking up yet another hobby.. But he's gotten excited about the prospect of eggs and now maybe a roast or two... *whistle
here they are....
chicken.jpg

and here is my henhouse...

henhouse.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC...and your new addiction
lau.gif

Cute little coop you have there! Wish mine was that stylish
big_smile.png

As for your girls, im no expert, but the look sorta like Rhode Island Reds. If thats what they in fact are, they are great egg layers.

What kind of chickies do you have on order?

Shannon

thanks all..I work in a sign shop and the coup is made from leftover signs- mdo.... and of course I had to cut the rooster out of vinyl and stick in on there because I don't plan to have roosters around. But that may change.
The chicks I have on order are from McMurray.. They are 3 Buff Orps, 3 RI Reds and a couple black silkies. I don't know if they will all work together or not. I am learning as I go
smile.png

Yeah, that IS a really nice coop. I won't show it to my chickens cause I don't want them to be jealous.
smile.png

I think they look like Rhode Island Reds, also. But not EXACTLY like them. I have a couple of RIRs and they are a darker, shinier red. But it could be them. (and yes, they are great layers!)

Welcome to the group.

Cassandra

Back
Top Bottom