Newby here...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Cove View Farm, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Cove View Farm

Cove View Farm Out Of The Brooder

Hello all.. I am a new chicken owner... here's how it started...
    I told my boss I was thinking of raising some chickens for eggs. He got excited and built me a coup. I have a neighbor that has 30+ chickens -he sells his eggs. He ordered me some chicks but come to find out, they won't be here til the middle of summer. [​IMG] I finished my chicken area real well with wire, buried it and put a roof of wire all around the run. We have a lot of red-tail, eagles, 'coons, and foxes. I got impatient, went down to the Amish market last weekend, and bought a couple 'broiler' hens. All the 'layers' were sold by 8 am.
    I did a search here on whether or not broilers will lay eggs but didn't find one. Either way, they are nice quiet chickens, and my kids are enjoying them so far. I will just have to wait til my chicks come and grow for eggs til next year if they don't. [​IMG] So I guess that's my first question! [​IMG] Will my broilers lay?

2. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Hi and welcome to BYC! I guess it depends on what kind of chickens they are? Anyone else? Someone in the meat chicken forum might know.

3. Cove View Farm

Hi! Thanks,
    Well, I have pix of them but don't know how to post here... still working on figuring that out. They are reddish colored and have yellow feet. They are a few pounds each... not very big, if I were to guess.

4. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    Welcome! And that is really cool that you had several enablers before you even got on BYC!

5. Cove View Farm

[​IMG] yes... It is funny.. My husband wasn't too thrilled I was picking up yet another hobby.. But he's gotten excited about the prospect of eggs and now maybe a roast or two... *whistle
    here they are....
    [​IMG]

and here is my henhouse...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  6. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Welcome to BYC...and your new addiction [​IMG]

Cute little coop you have there! Wish mine was that stylish [​IMG]

As for your girls, im no expert, but the look sorta like Rhode Island Reds. If thats what they in fact are, they are great egg layers.

What kind of chickies do you have on order?

Shannon

7. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    That coop is adorable! I will be building one soon and will have to come up with something creative to decorate it.

8. Cove View Farm

thanks all..I work in a sign shop and the coup is made from leftover signs- mdo.... and of course I had to cut the rooster out of vinyl and stick in on there because I don't plan to have roosters around. But that may change.
    The chicks I have on order are from McMurray.. They are 3 Buff Orps, 3 RI Reds and a couple black silkies. I don't know if they will all work together or not. I am learning as I go [​IMG]

9. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    welcome!nice coop

10. Cassandra

Cassandra Ranger Rick

Oct 27, 2007
    Southwest Mississippi
    Yeah, that IS a really nice coop. I won't show it to my chickens cause I don't want them to be jealous. [​IMG]

I think they look like Rhode Island Reds, also. But not EXACTLY like them. I have a couple of RIRs and they are a darker, shinier red. But it could be them. (and yes, they are great layers!)

Welcome to the group.

Cassandra

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by